What's new

Best DIY bookshelf speaker (value)??? (1 Viewer)

ChaseHanna

Stunt Coordinator
Im still in my long search of speakers and have been considering the following: B&W 601 s3, Axiom M22Ti, Paradigm Mini-Monitors. Now Ive begun to look at DIY speakers. I love projects and have good accesibility to many tools. Can you suggest some good plans and or kits to look at? And if you have those, tell me how they compare to market speakers. Thanks

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chase,
This question really belongs in the DIY section. You'll get a lot more responses there at least. You might ask a moderator to move it for you.
Check out www.gr-research.com for audiophile quality kits at damn good prices. The A/V-1's and A/V-1+'s are excellent. Adire Audio also has some nice kits. If you're looking for quality kits at dirt cheap prices then check out www.speakerpage.com.
That's all that come to mind immediately.
Brian

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Could see if Phil M still has his DIY ACI Jaguars. Think he was selling them for around $850 - $900.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Bryan,
I emailed Phil concerning that last night. I know someone that might be interested in them. Too bad the kits are no longer available. :frowning:
Brian

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
CH, consider the SCH line:
http://speakerpage.com/
I've built two of their best towers, their center channel and about seven of their best bookshelf size. My buddy built their best towers and a pair of their best bookshelves. They are absolutely the best priced quality kits I've ever seen or heard about.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say the Adire HE 10.1 is definately worth a look. At 95.5 dB/W, it's got efficiency most other bookshelves can only dream about. Also, the horn tweeter concentric with the midwoofer pays dividends of smooth off-axis response, especially around the crossover point. Good for a taste of the dual concentric magic of yore, ala Tannoy, Altec, et. al.

Bill

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
The Jag's are sold. Sorry for the delay in response Brian, but I'm just getting back from vacation.
I'm actually eagerly awaiting a pair of "home demo" AV1+'s with the new M130 woofers from GR-Research. They appear to be hard to beat for the $.
I'm also on the audition list for Dave Ellis's "traveling" 1801's. http://www.ellisaudio.com
You might want to check them out as well, along with some of Dennis Murphy's offerings at http://www.murphyblaster.com/_index.html
then click PROJECTS.
Phil

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Check out selahaudio.com. Rick just released the RC2 which I have ordered but haven't had a chance to build yet.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Phil,

I got your response, thanks! Concerning the A/V-1+'s, I'll be in Austin this weekend visiting Hank Frankenberg and Danny is going to drive down so I'll meet him too! Anyway, my dad should be building the rest of the A/V-1 cabinets and the 3 pair of A/V-1+ cabinets for Danny's demos. We should be veneering some of them starting next weekend. Hopefully we'll have a pair of A/V-1+ cabinets out to Danny sometime the following week.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks