What's new

Best display for an HT (1 Viewer)

Ken Scott

Agent
what is the best interms of resolution, clarity, proformance and such? money is no factor. any kind of projector, CRT, LCD, DLP, etc.....

Ken Scott

Agent
nothing is a factor really, im designing an HT in a room from scratch, the drywall isnt even in yet, im 97% sure i want a ceiling mounted one. i want a system that is totally remote controlled for ease of use because im in a wheelchair. voice activation would be awesome, like say "switch to movie setting" projector retracts from the ceiling, lights dim, etc.... MAN IM SO PUMPED TO START THIS!

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
I second CRT, with one reservation, since your in a wheel chair. CRT is a more hands on format, but if you have (and can afford) an ISF tech to setup and maintain the PJ there should be no problem. The picture from a top of the line, and even a modest, unit will blow you away!

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
you can get a low hour, high end crt projector for cheap nowadays. many companies are pulling them out of boardrooms and training rooms to switch to more portable digital projectors, so there are a large number of them on the used market. i purchased a high end unit from a crt tech that buys them, goes thru them and re-tubes them when needed. i get lifetime tech support and he maintains a large inventory of parts modules for any repairs.

once installed and set up, there is no more "hands on" with a crt than other pj's. all functions for mine are done from the remote.

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator

How about convergence and focus? Maybe you meant to say the CRT FPs are no more hands on than an RPTV.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
I haven't touched the convergence and focus on my CRT FP in over a year and it's still dead-on. Just a gorgeous, filmlike, three-dimensional picture on a 52x92 screen...

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
How about convergence and focus? Maybe you meant to say the CRT FPs are no more hands on than an RPTV.
as Dean noted, i meant what i said. focus is a function of setup, and once done by the installer won't have to be changed by the user. and unless we're talking about an old analog chassis crt, which i'm assuming we're not as we're talking high end, convergence is done via the remote.
so, unless your idea of hands on means you gotta touch the remote, crt's are no more hands on than other pj's.:)

btw, i could have purchased the pj i have and two more just like it and still have spent less than some high end dlp's.:)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
CRT FP. Only way to go unless you want to spend 15-20K or more. Definitely keep in mind the cost of having someone set it up, because it sounds like it probably would be difficult for you, and well worth the cost to have a pro set it up for you. Setup involves a lot of lens focusing and adjustment beyond just the remote. I can't tell how you'll be able to deal with that, if you have total normal movement of your arms and such, it shouldn't be a problem for you to do at all, though if it's ceiling mounted you'll have to devise a way to reach up there comfortably. If your motion is impeded, I would probably recommend you get a pro to help, because you do NOT want to be reaching into an electronic device with many kv of power running through it if you don't have 100% movement control. BTW the crt forums at AVS is the place to be, and the place to find some setup folks. The best setup people you may have to fly in, but there are some local people in washington that don't charge pro rates, but know what they are doing.

Also, with CRT projector setup, not just any old ISF will do to get you the best setup. Setup is an important part of your ultimate PQ, and you need someone who not only has the equipment/know-how, but the experience on your particular brand and model.

Lastly, for these, you REALLY need to be using video processing, usually in the form of an HTPC, as that's the cheapest way to go. CRT projectors can become more of a hobby than a purchase with digital projectors, but they are the best value, and arguably still the best picture available anywhere.

Again, if crt pj is an option, the CRT forums at avs is where everyone hangs out, and where you'll find all the re-sellers who back their products well. There are also a couple local folks you should talk to. Regardless of pj, Drew Packard would help you set it up and won't charge pro rates. Curt Palme is in Vancouver bc, and sells LOTS of crts, he's not that far away so you can go check it out in person (what I did) first if you want. There are also some other resellers, but they are a little further away, but shipping isn't *that* big a deal.

There are also some beginner's links to curt's guide to CRTs at the top of the forum, and some setup guides to give you an idea of what is involved. Hope that helps!

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Curt in Vancouver is also where i picked up mine. he used to live just a block or so from some friends of mine and i hooked up with him from the excellent crt forum at avs that Chris recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks