Best DISH reciever and best price?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scooter, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
  2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You want the 6023 kit. It has a 6000 model receiver, a Dish500 with a Twin LNB, a Dish300 with a dual LNB and two SW-21 switches. I bought mine from www.dishdepot.com and installed it myself.
    -Robert

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Scooter,
    We should have talked more at the party! I finished a DISH Network installation the day before I saw you. Robert_J is right on the mark. He answered a lot of my questions and was extremely helpful. Dish Depot is a very good dealer and can let you know about a lot of your options.
    My installation was a little more complicated. I ended up with 4 receivers for 4 sets including a 6000, a 501 and two 301 receivers. Also, I needed an SW64 multi-switch (which I purchased from dish depot because my local guy couldn't get one as easily).
    You have to ask yourself how many places in your house you want satellite. If it's only one then the 6023 kit is perfect. If it's two (like the theater and the bedroom) then you might want to consider adding the 501 PVR as your second receiver. This PVR (Personal Video Recorder) is an amazing piece of equipment as a second (non-HD) receiver.
    I bought the 6000 and the SW64 and everything else is leased from Dish. Mark (the owner of Dish Depot) is a heads up guy and knows his stuff. And the people here, like Robert_J and others were invaluable in teaching this "newbie" the ropes.
    Incidentally, CBS-HD absolutely rocks on my Sony VW10HT. I would imagine it would do the same on your 400Q. Ron and Packy were up at the house the next day and they saw what HDTV can do.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

4. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Thanks for the input fella's! Now..here is my next question:
    I had DirecTV and was set for 5 recievers. I have the switch box already...all I need is the dual LNB Dish and one HD reciever. I have 2.4 gig transmitters and recievers in the house to send the signal anywhere...and like I said...I want it mostly for CBS-HD.
    So..given that...what should I get.
    As for installation...seems to me the install is still offered free..at least that's what they said on the radio ad yesterday.
    ------------------
    "The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
    David Manning-Critic

5. David Balan

David Balan Auditioning

A quick newbie question:
    Why the need for the Dish 500 and the 18 inch dish? Is this just to get more than two TV's on the system?

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

7. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

One of the reason Dish is able to offer much more HD than direct tv is because they have the bandwidth available on the 61.5 sat...While it may be slightly inconienant to have two dishes, this allows dish network to keep adding HD programming as it becomes available...
    ------------------

8. Brett Loomis

Brett Loomis Stunt Coordinator

In-line with this thread I have the following questions:
    PHASE 1--I have 4 TV's currently. I want DD/5.1 output on 2 of the 4 receivers I get and the remaining 2 can be "plain jane". I want to be able to watch different channels in each room at the same time (Yes, I have kids and a wife) AND I want to be HDTV ready as far as the dish goes.
    PHASE 2--I will be adding a 5th location next year in my finished basement and will need an HDTV receiver.
    Can someone please show me the most affordable way to accomplish phase 1 of this conversion from my dreaded cable co.
    Thanks

9. Alan Markow

Alan Markow Agent

I'm also new to both satellites and HD. I have Direct TV, and am receiving a beutiful HD signal for the HBO channel. I've also put in an outside antenna for OTA. One of the advantages of Direct TV is the single antenna with two pickups that can see both their birds at once. The obvious disadvantage is so little HD, and no network HD. But I've heard that D TV is putting up another bird this month and that will free more transponder space for HD. The biggest problem is that once you've seen the quality of the HD signal (especially such OTA stuff as Leno), it's hard to watch a DVD (and impossible to watch regular TV.
    One question that I haven't been able to answer: how to get a full-screen 4:3 image out of my CRT projector on non 16:9 TV shows. I'm using the Sony HD-100 into a Vidikron Vision 3 CRT projector, and bypassing my Faroudja 3000 for the HD signal. The 4:3 stuff comes in windowboxed. The screen is 120" diagonal so it's still a big picture, but why waste all that space (hey...that's nearly a quote from Contact). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

10. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Called Dish Depot today and got the system! CBS-HD here I come!!!!
    Thanks for the link and info fellas!
    ------------------
    "The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
    David Manning-Critic