Best DirecTV receiver/recorder setup--TiVo???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Goodrich, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Bob Goodrich

Bob Goodrich Agent

I'm contemplating going DirecTV and need your recommendation on which receiver and recorder setup is best. I don't know if I should go TiVo or some other receiver/hard disc combo. I would like to have PIP for simultaneous recording. Additionally, if you know of any screaming deals in SoCal please pass them on. Thanks in advance.

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

If you can get your local channels through DirecTV (check at their web site), the DirecTivo combo model (officially known as "DirecTV DVR w/ Tivo") is the only choice, really. It's the only type that records the digital stream directly; standalone models have to reencode from analog output. It's also the only way to get dual simultaneous recording in one box, and Dolby Digital audio recording/output. The only reason not to get one is if local channels aren't provided, and you need to record them off of cable/antenna which the combo model can't do.

PIP - You can't really use PIP, but with Tivo who needs it? If you have two shows on simultaneously, you can just set both to record, and pause one of them while you watch the other full screen. Whenever you feel like switching, just switch to the other program, and watch both in their entirety.

3. Bob Goodrich

Bob Goodrich Agent

I have several VCR's and was hoping the DirecTV TiVo had an analog output I could use for whatever. Just a thought as I'm blind here.

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Huh? I don't understand your statement here. Of course the DirecTivo has analog outputs for connection to your TV / VCRs. Dumping stuff recorded on the disk to VCR is easy.

If you were hoping to record extra channels (in addition to the 2 that the DirecTivo already records) independently with your VCRs, that isn't possible with satellite. Digital satellite requires a separate tuner for each channel you want to view/record; the DirecTivo only has 2 of these. If you wanted to record additional channels onto VCR you'd need additional satellite receiver(s), and in that case you might just want to get 2 DirecTivos.

Remember that with DirecTivo, you can record 2 things simultaneously, while watching either, or a third previously recorded program. That's quite enough for most people; I'd bet you would almost never feel the need to use one of your VCRs, other than for archival.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

6. Bob Goodrich

Bob Goodrich Agent

I was wondering if it is possible to feed a second room/tv with an analog feed while watching/recording something else using TiVo. Just trying to get around a second room receiver using a dual tuner TiVo. Will this work????

7. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

No. Although it can record 2 at once, it can only play one thing at a time. To watch 2 shows independently on different TVs, the 2nd TV will need need another source, a 2nd receiver ($5/month extra, you could go for a cheap < $100 model w/o Tivo features, if you don't want to shell out for a 2nd D*Tivo) if you want to watch satellite. This is the disadvantage of sat vs. analog cable; you can't just split out a line and tune with analog tuners. It's digital satellite, no analog feed to tune to!

Depending on household viewing patterns, you might be able to get away with just the one receiver, since time shifting is so easy. One TV could be retired to solely VHS/DVD/video game usage; family members would have to negotiate time on the main set to view their satellite programs from the disk. But if people want to watch different sat shows at the same time, there's no getting around a 2nd receiver.