best directors commentaries

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by palmer greene, Aug 9, 2002.

1. palmer greene

palmer greene Auditioning

i am a starting out film director i intend to learn my craft by watching directors commentaries on DVD as i can't afford the 100 000 for film school, could you good people tell me which are the better ones or where i might find such information?

Palmer

2. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Definitely get yourself a copy of El Marachi and Desperado (they're a double pack here in the UK and very cheap).
    Rodriguez is a fantastic commentator and there's also the two 10 minute film school lectures on there, plus the eye-opening 'Bed Head'.

3. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

All Criterion disc offer informative and substantial director's commentaries.
    Se7en Platinum disc offers a wealth of technical informtaion in commentary form.
    In terms of finding out how to make independent films, cut corners, find locations cheaply, the Edward Burns commentaries are excellent. No Looking Back, Brothers McMullen and She's the One.

4. Fred Bang

Fred Bang Stunt Coordinator

I really liked the commentary on Boogie Nights. PT Anderson truly loves his film.

The best commentary I have seen is Roger Ebert on Citizen Kane.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

7. GrantM

GrantM Stunt Coordinator

I second the Edward Burns recomendation. In the commentary for Sidewalks of New York he goes into great detail on how to make a movie cheaply.
    ANYTHING by David Fincher (all the Fight Club and Seven commentaries are worthwhile) or Cameron Crowe.
    The Mendes/Ball (?) commentary on American Beauty is a good technical track.

8. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Probably not going to help your cause much, but my favorite is the Bryan Singer & Christopher McQuarrie commentary oh "The Usual Suspects." It is just funny listening to them talk as two old friends, pointing out the humor, the flaws, the clues, and other goodies in their film.

Chris

9. rhett

rhett Supporting Actor

I highly recommend John Carpenter's commentaries. His movies are almost all low budget, and his commentaries are extremely enjoyable, but more importantly, they are often very revealing of the filmmaking process.
    His solo commentary for Assault on Precinct 13 is very informative for those wishing to work with low budgets, and In The Mouth Of Madness has a dry but revealing talk about directing and photography. I highly recommend these.

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i second boogie nights, pt anderson is very informative, often hilarious.

11. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Another vote here for Robert Rodriguez. His commentaries and the 'Ten-minute Film Schools' on the Mariachi/Desperado double feature are eye-openers, and the various bits and pieces (but not the commentary) on Dusk till Dawn are well worth a look too.

And if it's film theory you're after, then the commentary on Criterion's Peeping Tom is worth it's weight in gold, so to speak, as well as the astonishingly analytical subtitle commentary on Die Hard:SE.

12. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

If you really want to go to film school you could move to a state like CA, where I'm parts of the UC-system have decent films schools (e.g., UCLA), gain residency while getting a job on the side. Then, get into school, and work while in school as well.

This way tuition is cut drasticaly. You can get low-interest loans to pay the rest, including some loans where interest doesn't acrue until you graduate.

Roger Ebert (though, not a director, obviously) not only does a Citizen Kane commentary, but one on Dark City, as well. The Dark City one is often cited at the top of peoples list around here. He is a better orator than most directors, unsurprisngly, but he also gives fantastic insight into the film.

Best of luck, and get some books and what-not directing too, if you haven't already.