Best DirecTIVO receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nestor_Ramos, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Nestor_Ramos

Nestor_Ramos Stunt Coordinator

I'm interested in a DirecTIVO receiver (Like the Sony Sat-T60) but are there other (cheaper)models I should look at? I vaguely remember reading that the innards of the Philips unit were identical to the Sony. Is that true? What's a good source for good prices?

Also, how well do the stand-alone Tivo units interface with DirecTV? My local CBS affiliate is not offered by DirecTV (it's a fued between the two, not affected by must-carry laws) and I understand that the DirecTIVO units ONLY record DirecTV signals, not OTA, so I wouldn't be able to record CBS. Should I consider a stand-alone Tivo? I assume that the downside of a stand-alone is a more complex interface, but can anybody be more specific?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers/advice,

Nestor

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I just order two Phillips DirecTivo DSR6000s from http://www.expertsatellite.com for $190 with shipping. By not have ever subscribing to DirecTV I was able to use coupon LADISH and get one for $29.99 - $29.99(LADISH Coupon) = FREE!
    After checking around on the tivocommunity.com forum I decided that the Phillips are identical to the Sony's minus the outer casing and the Sonys being able to record out to a Sony VCR with the push of one button on the remote.
    The worst part about the Phillips unit is they don't come with 2.5 already loaded it must be downloaded through the TiVO unit to turn on the second DTV tuner. Oh and several of the Phillips units have the older slower remote, but Phillips is offering a free replacement.

3. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Nestor:

I don't think that the standalone TiVo interface is more complicated. The advantage of the combo unit is that ALL the recorded content is highest quality and the DirecTiVo has two tuners so you can record TWO programs while watching a third.

Personally, after owning both, I much prefer the DirecTiVo and I have my standalone TiVo sitting here ready to go up on eBay.

But if you ABSOLUTELY must see KOIN (I grew up in Portland) a standalone TiVo will not be more complicated once you get it set up.

4. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I second the recommendation for Expert Satellite. I got a Hughes DirecTivo (excellent product!) from them while they were running a Christmas promotion that offered free equipment and installation. I've also owned the Philips standalone and sold it off shortly thereafter. All Tivos, combo or not, come with the dual tuners built-in--version 2.5 of the software is needed to actually activate the tuners. Again, I can't tell you how much I love being able to use the dual tuner functionality! I believe the current deal is $99 for the Hughes unit if you've never been a DirecTV subscriber before. For the most up to date info on deals, head over to the Tivo Community Forum .

5. Nestor_Ramos

Hm, interesting. So, will the program guide come from the stand-alone Tivo or my cheapy direcTV receiver? I was under the impression that, when using a DirecTIVO, you use the same program guide, interface, etc. for watching TV AND recording it, but with the stand-alone, you had to navigate two different program guides (one for watching, one for recording). Is this not the case? Incidently, the DirecTIVO also appeals to me because it would also constitute an upgrade of my existing DirecTV receiver, which has no digital audio out. I could also just record on VHS when I want to see something on CBS (until either the DirecTV/Dish merger goes through or KOIN gets their heads out of their ***es).

Can you recommend a few stand-alone models and a few DirecTIVO models (are there more than two?), so I can compare specs & prices?

Thanks again,

Nestor

6. Nestor_Ramos

OK, I'm sold on the DirecTivo. I'm already a DirecTV subscriber, so what's the best price I can get on a DirecTivo unit (the Phillips DSR6000 looks good). Can I order it for 29.99 from expert satellite even though I'm already a DirecTV subscriber?

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I don't know about getting the $29.99 price, but you might be able to get the $179.99 price for the unit, which is still $200 cheaper than the Sony unit.
    You should call them, their 1-800 number is all over their website.
    NOTE TO KELLEY_B: Please do not use a large graphic link to another website as your signature. Thank you.
    The Administration

8. Kenny C

Kenny C Agent

I have a question about Tivo units. I have the old ones (SA). I was wondering with the new ones there is a Digital connection. Does that plug into the Reciever and records in DD on channels that broadcast it ? And can it play back also in DD ?

My unit has the standard Red and White Composite outputs.

I hope i made sense here. And If the Tivo units can record and playback in DD then I am out the door getting one right way.

Thanks

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Yes the DirecTivos do record in Dolby Digital(if the program has a DD bitstream) and there is an optical output on all of them, plus with a direcTivo you can record two programs at the same time and also watch one previously recorded program, so you could have it doing three things at once!

10. Kenny C

Kenny C Agent

Ok, you've convinced me to go out and find myself a Tivo Unit. I already have 3 SA. 2 Are being used, 1 still in the box. Now I will have 4 or 5, depending if I get 2.

Now, Which one should I get ?

Thanks

11. Nestor_Ramos

Howdy. I just ordered a Philips DSR6000 from American Satellite for $110 shipped. As far as I know, this is a hard price to beat if you're already a DirecTV subscriber (if you're not, they're literally giving them away). There's a $200 rebate on the Sony, but I think you also have to be a new subscriber to get that deal. One important thing to remmeber is that the DirecTiVo will only record DirecTV programming -- no over the air of cable. Also, from reading the TiVo community forum, it appears you can sell your old DirecTV receiver and access card for a pretty penny -- probably considerably more than you'll pay for the DirecTiVo -- on ebay. Apparently hackers are desparate for the access cards. Be forewarned, though, that selling the access card is not quite legal.

12. Kenny C

Kenny C Agent

If i have a DirectTivo unit how am I able to watch 1 program and record the other one ? Do i need a special splitter ? If I only have 1 cable now to my DirectTv, how do i setup my Sony SAT-T60 which i just bought online.
    Now i am thinking about the Phillips one also. Do i really need 5 Tivo units [​IMG]

13. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Kenny,

You need to run two lines from your dish to your DirecTivo. If you want more than two receivers, you add a multi-switch in between your dish and receivers. You will still need one run of coax from the switch for each TUNER. Using a standard splitter is only allowed in multiple multi-switch installations.

Sell you SA Tivos (unless you need them for recording locals from antenna or cable). You are paying $10 a month per Tivo or multiple lifetime subscriptions but you only need to pay Tivo once for all of your DirecTivos. If you paid your lifetime subscription before a certain date, you can have it transferred to a DirecTivo. Go to the Tivo Community for more details.

-Robert