What's new

Best Digital Camera For My Needs? (1 Viewer)

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
hey all,
i'm more of a HT person myself but i'm looking for a nice digital camera thats resonibly priced. Looking for 3+ megapixels, auto focus or auto focus with manual option. Not looking for anything to overwhelmingly big, any help would be great!

Thanks,
Jay

EDIT: more pixels the better

SarahG

Second Unit
What will you be using it for? Depending on that, there's a ton of different cameras you should consider. If you're just using it for recreational use, I would say you probably don't need anything over 3 mega pixels.... unless you are hard core and want more pixels and a larger zoom than 3x optical. The larger the zoom, the larger the camera, in most cases. You should be able to find a good camera under $250 for your needs. I know staples.com is doing a thing with some rebates on cameras right now. You might check that out. I would suggest any of the canon's, nikon's, or sony's.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Forget a 'digicam' if you want manual focus. They all stink. Your best bet is to get a Canon Digital Rebel (300 rebate right now if you buy two lenses with it) or something like the Sony 828 or whatever that beast is with the fixed lens.

www.dpreview.com will give you great reviews and if you search by brand you can see how each vendor has things spread out between digicam, hybrid, and full SLR.

Sam

David McGough

Second Unit
Im looking myself. Ive been looking on Ebay at the
Sony CD400 and 500. Looks like more camera than i need.
Im looking for somebody to say... what you need is_____
I want a good zoom and compact.. the cd400 is bulky.
What i like is this camera has a CD that stores the pic.
you put the disk in the drive and view.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
First, figure out your budget. Then, figure out what kinds of photos you expect to shoot -- and think carefully on this and be as specific as you can because it really does matter a whole lot. Finally, how much commitment will you put into learning photography? And yes, that matters a lot too since the final result actually depends lots more on the person behind the camera (and at the computer processing pics) than the camera choice itself. If you have zero commitment to learning, then you probably won't benefit much from a better camera -- yes, a better camera will help, but not nearly as much as learning photography.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks