What's new

Best Device for Best Sound out of a Computer? (1 Viewer)

mark.greger

Auditioning
I'm in the planning stage of building a home theater and want to play video through my computer. I understand hooking the moniter cable to the projector but what would be the best way to get Quality sound from the Computer to the my Receiver, and will it be in surround format?? Thanks for any help!

RomanSohor

Second Unit
Well if you hook the monitor cable (by that I assume you mean VGA) you will get nice Video out of the computer, but no sound at all. If you connect the 1/8" audio cable that all soundcards have to your sound system you will only get stereo sound, which I assume your decoder could convert to surround via Pro Logic, but it's not real 5.1 - you need to get a sound card that has a Coaxial or Optical audio output for 5.1 surround.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have had good luck with a simple Sound Blaster Live card..... Even the crazy USB product seems to work well.

How old is the PC? Many built more recently actually come with cards that have digital out now, and can support DD / DTS....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks