Best demo discs for surround sound system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler T, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Tyler T

Tyler T Stunt Coordinator

Oct 14, 2001
    Every summer or so, I visit my uncle who has a nice house and other such fancy things. He recently got a surround sound system in his living room and watches DVD's (except he has a 4x3 TV and plus it's a Playstation 2, not a normal DVD player). Since it was last summer that I vistited him, I have gotten more DVD's that are sound demos and others. Here are the ones I have:
    Star Wars Ep.1-Phantom Menace
    The Matrix
    Lara Croft:Tomb Raider
    Almost Famous-Bootleg Director's Cut
    Moulin Rouge
    The Mummy: UE
    That's about all my demo-worthy discs that I own. I would put Gladiator, but it was his first DVD ever. He also has another great sound demo disc, U-571. So, is there any good discs I should buy that have awesome sound mixes. I am not sure if he has DTS (I really did not get to watch or hear anything last time I was up there), but include those as well. Also, he has two children (my newphews) who are 12 and 8. They can see some things, but others they can't. I do not know if language is a problem, but waaaay too extreme violence is not allowed. Nudity is one thing, but he let's his children watch Benny Hill, and it has some nudity and sexual refrences in it, but once again not too extreme. I think they watched Gladiator, but no over-the-top violence. Oh and I forgot if they were J6P's also, but I don't think they are.
  2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Mar 6, 2001
    I would get Toy Story 2. It has a great surround sound track with really good bass. Not to mention its a pretty good movie as well.
  3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

May 16, 2001
    Patrick McCart
    Cast Away.

It's not aggressive all the way, but the subtle sound needed for most of the movie makes this a great surround sound example.

I also reccomend T-2: Ultimate Edition, Moulin Rouge, Superman: The Movie, and Apocolyapse (sic) Now: Redux.
  4. ErikG

ErikG Cinematographer

Jul 27, 2001
    Fast and the Furious
    The Rock (Criterion)
  5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Jan 16, 1998
    Neil Joseph
    A Bug's Life has a great surround soundtrack

Otehrs I like include...

- The Vertical Limit

- Air Force One

- The Fifth Element

- Jurassic Park 1-3

- Independence Day

- Contact

- Toy Story UTB

- Titan AE (very nice rear sound and LFE)