Best deal on Tax software?

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Adam, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

Tax season is here and I usually buy TaxCut Deluxe. Does anyone know what is the best deal out there for either TaxCut or Turbo Tax?

Thanks,
    Adam.

2. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Adam - I haven't seen too much variation on the TaxCut offer. Almost everybody offers TaxCut Deluxe at $24.99 with a $5 rebate from TaxCut and the State edition at around $24.99 with a $24.99 rebate from TaxCut (free after rebate, other than sales tax), plus a few other software packages essentially free after rebate. So bottom line you'll spend around $20 for the federal edition (after rebate) and pay nothing but sales tax for the state edition (after rebate). I got mine at Best Buy; the rebate requests are in the mail.

Steve K.

3. Richard Gilmore

Richard Gilmore Stunt Coordinator

Get TaxCut deluxe from Walmart - $19.99, no rebate. The state version there is also $19.99 but you can get that rebated.

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  5. Dennis_H

Dennis_H Stunt Coordinator

I've used taxact (www.taxact.com) the last 4 years and it works fine for me. It's $10 and has free filing. I know they have state versions, but I don't need them in TX.

6. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I'll try Walmart. I hate rebates, and one less is a good incentive.

Thanks.

7. Robert Powers

Robert Powers Stunt Coordinator

I used the TurboTax for the Web with a 50% discount via Fidelity.com. The federal was $9.95 with free filing. The state was $19.95. I have used www.taxact.com in the past but I thought the software for turbotax was much more user friendly. Both my federal and state returns were accepted within 24 hours of my submission.

8. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    There's a $10 rebate available for Turbo Tax Deluxe as well as rebates for free Turbo Tax State and Quicken available form Intuit (the publisher). The rebates are not valid for products purchased at WalMart. Most of the office supply stores seem ot have the rebate; I bought mine at Staples.