Best deal on new "THE LAST WALTZ" 4-cd set?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Malloy, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Surprisingly, it looks like Amazon maybe the cheapest (A site called Mymusic had it for a slightly smaller price, but I couldn't actually find it on their site).
    I hadn't heard of this, and looking through the names on the set, I really want it. Thing is, I've not seen the movie (I plan to remedy this as soon as it comes out, mainly because I just love Scorsese), and I've never actually heard much of The Band (other than the Real Basement Tapes. I think you and I got 'em from the same place. [​IMG]) For a casual fan, who knows them because of their involvement with Dylan, would you recommened something like this sight unseen?

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Wow - I didn't even think to look at Amazon (aren't they usually more expensive - at least on the DVD end of things?).

I guess Greg hooked you up on the remastered basement tapes? I can't thank him enough for that! In fact, I need to burn him another big Dead show after checking his list for any updates (I'm thinking maybe 6/10/73 RFK.)

And I would definitely recommend THE LAST WALTZ, sight-unseen (ears-unheard?), and certainly so assuming you like the artists involved. The performances are all amazing (well, I could probably do without the Neil Diamond tune), and fidelity is very good (and, I'm hoping, even better on this much extended re-release).

BTW, here's some info on the upcoming DVD (5/7) of the movie:

Edition Details:

• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)

• Color, Widescreen, Dolby

• Commentary by Robbie Robertson and Martin Scorsese

• Commentary by the featured musicians

• New 5.1 Audio Remix and New Transfer

• Featurette: Revisiting The Last Waltz

• Rare, Unseen Footage and Memorabilia

• 8-page booklet written by Robbie Robertson

• Widescreen anamorphic format

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I was going to recommend checking out www.cheap-cds.com but I can't access their site right now. I've never ordered from them, but others here have posted good feedback on them. MyMusic (which is a Canadian site) may have it cheaper once they actually post a price.
    I ordered my set through Amazon, but only because I had a $10 gift cert. laying around (and somehow a $5 promo one showed up on my account) so I got it on the cheap. Here are some Amazon coupons (unverified):
    MAPMCEXCLUS2 - $5 off $35 (expires July 31, 2002)
    TARGETPAYLSS - $5 OFF $50 (expires 4/15/02, items must be added to cart from http://www.amazon.com/target)
    Also, this set was originally announced as a 4/16 release but it's now a 4/23 release. As Rich said, the film on DVD is a 5/7 release. I haven't heard the album or seen the movie but I have both pre-ordered.
    NP: Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard - 12/3/97 - Austin, TX

6. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

My Amazon order for this hasn't even entered the "Shipping Soon" stage. Looks like I won't be listening to this anytime soon. *Sigh*

Anyone get a copy of this set yet?

7. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I think I will pass on the cd set for now and get the DVD set at BestBuy on May 7.
    Since this is a movie and the DVD is 5.1, this is the way to go.
    JohnG[​IMG]

8. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

JohnG said:

9. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    I'm going for the DVD A version - I want the best version! [​IMG]
    Jesper

10. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Don't forget the 4CD set has a ton of music (24 tracks, actually) that is not on either the DVD or DVD-A.

I'm definitely getting the DVD and CD set. I might get the DVD-A someday if I ever get a player. If the DVD-A duplicated the CD, I would get the DVD-A instead of the CD now.

Ryan