Best deal on BTTF Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Qui-Gon John, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Can anyone tell us the best deals on the BTTF Trilogy?

2. Carlos V III

Carlos V III Stunt Coordinator

Just remember that the Canadian prices will fluctuate depending upon exchange rates.

Amazon - - - - - - - - 42.74
    Amazon.CA - - - - - - - 27.44
    DDD - - - - - - - - - - 40.80
    Direct Video - - - - - 31.08
    DVD Planet - - - - - - 39.89
    DVD Soon - - - - - - - 32.25
    North American DVD - - 31.99
    Playcentric - - - - - 41.65
    Total Action Univ - - - 32.07

YMMV. Got to love those Canadian e-tailers! [​IMG]

3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

How is ordering from Amazon.ca? Also, regular Amazon doesn't usually charge until the order ships. Would that mean the price would fluctuate then, or would you retain the price in effect at the time your order is completed and confirmed, (just awaiting shipment).

4. Carlos V III

As far as I know all Canadian e-tailers except for Amazon.ca will charge you when you order. Which is why I usually waited until about 2 weeks out when buying from them (except for when I use Amazon.ca).
    Price will fluctuate whenever you get charged depending upon exactly what exchange rate gets used and if your CC imposes any service charge or fee for currency conversion. They will bill in Canadian dollars and then it's up to what happens with your credit card company on how they handle currency conversion.
    Another thing to take into consideration is shipping time. My experience has been 10-16 days Canada to Louisiana using normal postal shipping. You can of course pay more for faster shipping if you want to.[​IMG]
    So long as you understand you won't be getting instant gratification and probably have to wait awhile to get your purchase and are willing to put up with it to save money I highly recommend using them. [​IMG]

5. Dave Danek

Dave Danek Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy was $39.99, and I ordered it during the 10% off sale for sci-fi/horror titles, so a grand total of $35.99 + tax. I imagine they'll be down to $34.99 or even lower by the time of release. Considering the 12/17 release date, that would be a great loss leader for the final Christmas shopping push!! The nice thing is, pre-orders on bb.com will usually be price adjusted to the lowest bb price (online or b&m).

About two months ago, playcentric had it pre-order for $32.16, since upped to $41 or so.

6. Carlos V III

Dave Berthiaume said

7. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Carlos, don't forget Six Feet Under!
    Hey, BTTF Trilogy at TRU for $9.99, [​IMG] , we can only hope!

8. Carlos V III

:b We could only hope for a price war on this one!

Funny about 6 feet under, I started out liking that show and just gradually lost interest in it. Might have to give it another try?

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Wow! I've heard of double-posting, but quadruple-posting? [​IMG]
    Costco = $35.99
    Sam's Club = $38.98
    (from their websites)

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

FYI, I've cleaned up Carlos' quadruple posting.

I don't know why, but I'm on the fence about purchaing this trilogy (maybe because I have no compelling reason to re-watch the trilogy again). But if the set got to around $30, I'd probably buy it.

11. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Of the list above, which ones are Canadian, (besides obviously Amazon.ca)?

12. Carlos V III

Well, that's what I get for posting from work. Damn server locked up and evidently burped out 4 transmissions! [​IMG]

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm

14. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Well, since this is a Universal title, you can probably expect the packaging to be bilingual. So, if you don't mind having "Retour vers le futur" on the cover and spine, then enjoy the deal.

I'll be importing my set from the US.

15. Dave Danek

Dave Danek Stunt Coordinator

It's getting better. . . in my BB order status for the BTTF Trilogy, the price just dropped to $33.99!! And another major saving at BB.com: I called CS and asked for a price adjustment on the ST:TNG #6 box since they announced the 20% off paramount sale today. After a few minutes on hold, got the credit!!!!! KEWL!!

16. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Funny, still shows up for $39.99 on bestbuy.com

17. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Yep, still shows $39.99. When you order from Best Buy.com, do they add sales tax? Otherwise I may have to order from Amazon, as my last couple shipments from them had no tax, no shipping.

18. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Best Buy charges sales tax for me in Illinois. I assume they are charging sales tax to everyone who lives in a state where there is a Best Buy store. So, I assume you will also be charged sales tax.

I just checked dvdpricesearch.com and they are showing Playcentric.com price at $34.85. They are a very reliable company. They are Canadian but have a U.S. shipping point. The last couple of orders have arrived by release date.

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    If the company has a physical presence in the state the merchandise is shipped to, then they have to charge sales tax (a good argument next time they try and throw the "BB stores and BB.com are separate companies" argument in your face; when it comes down to states and collecting sales taxes, they ain't!). Though I still haven't figured out why Columbia House DVD charges tax; AFAIK they have no physical presence anywhere.
    And through the quirk of local sales taxes, I can actually save 1% by ordering through the BB website (using free shipping) as they only charge 5% sales tax while shopping at the nearest BB B&M I'm charged 6% (state + 1% local). It ain't much, but it's $1 per $100 spent and can add up after a while. [​IMG]

20. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

So these on-line companies are really making extra profit. They're charging us sales tax, but then not paying it to the respective states.

I guess Columbia House has a presence in Indiana.