What's new

Directors Best Contemporary Actress Tournament (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Then I recommend Demon Seed or Don't Look Now. :D

Anyway, I'll go with Maggie Gyllenhaal (no aversion to boobs here) and Juliette Binoche.

Emily Watson and Julie Christie advance.

Next matchups in a few!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Round 2 - Bracket 13

Tough draw for the amazing Tilda.

Helen Mirren

vs.

Tilda Swinton

Round 2 - Bracket 14

Claire, we hardly knew ya.

Kate Winslet

vs.

Claire Danes

Actress Quotes:

"All you have to do is to look like crap on film and everyone thinks you're a brilliant actress. Actually, all you've done is look like crap."

- Helen Mirren

"People say to me, 'You seem to have made this conscious decision to do independent films'. In reality, I haven't. After each movie, I always think, how different can I possibly be?... Is this going to challenge me, is this going to inspire me, and is this going to make me love my job more than I already do?"

- Kate Winslet

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Helen Mirren
Kate Winslet

I have actually seen those 2, as well as "Afterglow", "McCabe", "Finding Neverland", "I'm With Lucy", "Heaven can Wait", "Dragonheart", "Power", "Fahrenheit 451" and "Shampoo" now that I reminded myself with her filmography! Hadn't realized I'd seen that many, though no "Zhivago" or "Darling". I guess I can vote next round. . .

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm going with Tilda Swinton and Kate Winslet.

Tilda Swinton and Kate Winslet advance.

Hated to vote against the superb Helen Mirren, but Swinton is downright fascinating. :)

Back in a few...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The final round two matchups!

Round 2 - Bracket 15

Cate Blanchett

vs.

Catherine Deneuve

Round 1 - Bracket 16

Naomi Watts

vs.

Irene Jacob

Actress Quotes:

"If I had my way, if I was lucky enough, if I could be on the brink my entire life - that great sense of expectation and excitement without the disappointment - that would be the perfect state."

- Cate Blanchett

"Pain is such an important thing in life. I think that as an artist you have to experience suffering. It's not enough to have lived it once; you have to relive it. Darkness is not a pejorative thing."

- Naomi Watts

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Catherine Deneuve

Irene Jacob (I probably shouldn't vote here as I can't recall offhand if I've seen Jacob in anything besides Red, but I assume Naomi will blow her out anyway)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll go with Cate Blanchett and Naomi Watts.

Naomi Watts advances.

Cate Blanchette and Catherine Deneuve are tied so I'll leave the bracket open for another 24 hours (some of our regulars haven't voted yet). If the tie isn't broken by then, I'll retract my vote.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Round 3 - Bracket 1

Emily Watson

vs.

Jennifer Jason Leigh

Round 3 - Bracket 2

Joan Allen

vs.

Laura Linney

Actress Trivia:

Emily Watson was Jean-Pierre Jeunet's first choice to play the title role in Amelie, but dropped out for personal reasons. She did manage to leave her mark on the film however; Amelie is named after her.

Jennifer Jason Leigh had a part filmed for Eyes Wide Shut. When director Stanley Kubrick wanted to do re-shoots, she was unavailable and her entire part was redone with another actress.

We need a tie-breaking vote in the Cate Blanchett vs. Catherine Deneuve bracket - first vote for either wins it!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Emily

Joan (although, good as she is, I'd love to see her do something other than "the dutiful wife" a little more often)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks