What's new

Best console for racers? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Hey everyone,

I currently have a Dreamcast, and as fun as that is -- I'm ready for something new.

Which next-gen console is the best for racing games?

I just purchased a 57" Toshiba widescreen HDTV (57HDX82) and would like it if the console took advantage of widescreen (especially 16:9 mode!). It's not necessary, but would be nice...

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Easy answer on this one. Unless you absolutely can not live without GT3, get an Xbox. I am a racing game freak, and this is the Xbox's strongest genre if you ask me.

Dean

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
As a counter point, I have been nothing but pleased with racing on the PS2. From the hardcore sim (GT3), the arcade racer (Need For Speed : HP2, which appears to be best on the PS2), and vehicle themed games like GTA or Burnout, I think the PS2 has a lot to offer. Lots of variety exists in between, including off road, rally, stunt (Hey, I liked Stuntman), and NASCAR stuff.

Just as an option.

EdR

Second Unit
It depends on what kind of racing you like. Xbox has strong titles like PGR, which even though it's a year old is a good arcade game with deep handling and an innovative scoring system.

If you like more sim style, Sega GT (also Xbox) might be your thing, and a decent stand-in for GTA3.

But for other kinds of racing, like the insanely fun NFS:HP2 mentioned above, the PS2 is it. Of course there's the venerable GTA3, and I hear that GTA4 is due in the near future.

I also think the PS2 has the best rally games. The Xbox does have Rallisport, but it suffers from a lack of variety, in terms of tracks and driving surfaces...although it's easily the best looking driving game on any console.

Meanwhile the PS2 has V-Rally 3 which is a good Rally sim (not great, but very solid), WRC which is overall my favorite rally game, with a nice mix of arcade and sim aspects. Then there's WRC2 (out today in Europe) which I have been following closely, everything I've seen points to it being the new rally king. Colin McRae 3 will be out for Xbox and PS2, but I've seen some comments that the PS2 port is better, but that is hearsay, I have yet to see it myself on any platform.

My recommendation would be to get both a PS2 and an Xbox...but if that's not an option it boils down to what kind of racing you like..and what is coming out down the pike for each system.

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
PS2 has the best racing game (Gran Turismo) and the best racing wheel (that force feedback Logitech). But some of those XBox games coming out look really sweet, and I am sure it is only a matter of time before the wheel comes out or a racer that is XBox Live compatible is released. I say go for the XBox (I have both it and the PS2, and if I had to give one up, it would easily be the PS2).

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I am a hardcore racer fan too, and im prolly going wiht he Xbox when i am able to...

PGR
RSC
SGT2003

The only racing game i want for PS2 is GT3... nothing else really appeals to me...

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
get to a friends' house with xboxlive,slap in moto gp and all your questions will be answered!

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Thanks for the input so far guys... I'm leaning towards the XBox right now. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get it before christmas (thus not getting the JSRF/SGT2002 pack-in games).

Maybe there'll either be a cheaper price after christmas, or another pack-in special...

Another bonus is that the Xbox has true Dolby Digital support. PS2 has Pro-Logic II only right?

I'm noticing that a lot of Xbox games don't support 16:9, but it appears that's with earlier games mainly. Hopefully most new/future games will support it!

(On a side note, Project Gotham Racing... is that similar to Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast? It's by the same developer... I LOVED that game!!)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Yes Aaron, Project Gotham Racing is the sequel to Metropolis Street Racer & it's better in every way. :emoji_thumbsup:
Both the PS2 & Xbox are good choices for racers. I think the Xbox has had a great first year for racing games (dare I say incredible even) & the PS2 has of course several exclusives, plus the most well-rounded selection...plus the force feedback wheel. ...*composes another angry letter to Microsoft for not releasing a force feedback wheel*

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I really like the X-Box's controller better for racers. The shoulder buttons feel a lot more like actual pettals. It's a lot easy to just push the shoulder button down a little bit and cruise then it is to apply a less pressure on the PS2 buttons.

EdR

Second Unit
I really like the X-Box's controller better for racers. The shoulder buttons feel a lot more like actual pettals.
This is a good point. The triggers on the Xbox controller have a good deal of throw, so it's easier to control the amount of throttle or brake compared to any button (even an analog button).

Oh, I forgot to mention one of the best PS2 racing titles out there "World of Outlaws Sprintcars" - a very challenging, visceral FUN game. It's like short-track speedskating for cars.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Another bonus is that the Xbox has true Dolby Digital support. PS2 has Pro-Logic II only right?
Correct on the Xbox supporting DD, but PS2 can support it as well in cut-scenes (not actual gameplay, though). I think it's the Gamecube that supports DPLII.
Another thing to consider on the Xbox is the possibility of racing live over Xbox Live. It's hela-sweet! :emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Yeah, I've played the Xbox and experienced the controllor. Coming from the Dreamcast, there was very little difference. I'm surprised at how similar they are. I would have to say Microsoft probably took some pointers from Sega with the controllers. If it came down to controllers, MS wins (with the smaller S-type controller of course).
I'm not at all interested in the steering wheels. I even went through great pains to track down a Dreamcast wheel on eBay... paid $40. That lasted for all of one week.
My decision is going to come down to these factors:
50% - raceing game selection/quality
30% - graphic quality on my new big screen
20% - misc other games
If it turns out well, the upcoming "Racing Evoluzione" (http://www.milestone.it/eng/Index.html) might tip the scales alone... :)

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Yeah I hear you there Aaron, Screamer 2 was one of my all time favorite racers. I have high hopes for this one.

Dean

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
You know, I never played Screamer 2. I played the first version (by a different developer I think), and loved that one. I think my computer was too outdated at the time of Screamer 2 so I never got a chance to play it. Of course, now my computer is way too fast to play it, even for nostalgia's sake! :)
So how does the custom soundtrack work? Do you burn MP3s on to a CDR and put it in the drive? Xbox doesn't read CDRs does it?

JamesH

Supporting Actor
If you're not concerned with getting a steering wheel, I'd go with the Xbox. In addition to having great racing games, it will also take advantage of your HDTV, whereas the PS2 will not. Burnout 2 on the PS2 runs in HD but it's about the only one I can think of, while all the good Xbox racing games work with HD. Speaking from experience, playing the PS2s racers with poor aliasing on a HDTV is NOT a pretty sight.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
This has probably all been mentioned, but there are only two downsides to the Xbox as far as being a racing platform:

Nothing on the level of GT3 (although SegaGT comes close in some areas)
And no force-feedback steering wheel (ie Logitech GT3 Wheel)

Otherwise, areas where the Xbox has a notable advantage:

Custom soundtracks
Better positional sound (the 5.1 in MotoGP is excellent)
Better controller (the dual analog triggers plus dual analog joysticks is something the PS2 can't match)
Better graphics (16:9, 480P, just better quality in most games I've seen, save a few).
Xbox Live! is supported in MotoGP right now; many new racers will probably add support for the service too.

And genre leading titles like Rallisport Challenge and MotoGP. Out of the three platforms, F1 2001 was strongest on the Xbox (only slightly) and PGR2 is looking like another winner for the Xbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks