Best connectors for 5.1

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I was wondering what deal at accessories4less.com would be best for 5.1 connectors. I was looking at the pro II AR composite cables for 9.99 or the dig. coax cables? I was just wondering which would be the best to carry the signal?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Ryan.

Are you talking about 6 separate RCA cables to go from a pre-processor to a amp, or the single coaxial-digital cable?

If you are looking for the coaxial-digital cable, any well-made video cable should work fine. If a brand you like offers both a composite video and coaxial-digital cable - go for the less expensive cable.

The people who wrote the SPDIF (Sony Phillips Digital Interface Format) requirements had a ordinary video cable in mind. Some less-than-repuitable cable companies then took their $20 composite video cables, put the words "Digital" on the package and sold them for $50+ until consumers learned that there is nothing special/exotic about the coaxial-digital connection.

(If anything, the digital nature of the signals mean you can use a really cheap $5 department store video cable and get perfect transmission).

But you are not getting ripped off with a $10-$15 coaxial digital or video cable.

3. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

no I am talking about 6 separate cables

4. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

5. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Six of those AR pro II composite cables for 9.99 will do the job.