What's new

Best connection? (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
Can anyone tell me the difference between if I hook up a subwoofer using sub out, or tie in with the high level inputs?? Which is the best way? Will I get the same bass? Is one harder on the amp than the other?

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
I would have to say that using the sub pre-outs is a much better choice. First if you are running a DD receiver, then it is the only way to get the true LFE (.1) part of the soundtrack. Running the wires with the high level input can also be a pain. Running all the extra speaker wire is bad enough, but if you decide to relocate the sub to another corner of the room, it can become a big nuicence (1 wire is always easier than 4). There is also the issue of bass management. You would have to rely on the sub alone to control which speakers get the low frequencies.

Bill

PaulDF

Second Unit
Thanks Bill, I'd never thought about the LFE part of digital soundtracks.... Makes sense. But what did you mean by this?

[There is also the issue of bass management. You would have to rely on the sub alone to control which speakers get the low frequencies.]

Another few questions...

Is there any way to boost the sub out signal without damaging the sub amp? My receiver seems to have poor output.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the LEVEL of the sub out? I don't mean the frequency, but could it be compared to the L/R outs on the back of my CD or DVD? I seem to confuse low level and sub out...

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
The LFE stands for Low Frequency Effects. It is the .1 in 5.1, 6.1, etc. Most receivers will have to be "told" that a sub is hooked up in order to utilize the LFE. Check your manual for set up. Set sub "on", set speakers to small (suggest this for most set ups), and if available, set the receivers crossover to 80Hz.

Now a few notes about LFE and bass. With or without LFE, bass can still be sent to the rest of the speakers, but the LFE is a seperate audio track for the (usually) low and loud scenes. Some receivers will show you via an LED if an LFE track is playing at that moment. The sub will still produce the other bass not encoded into the LFE. Setting the speakers to small and adjusting the crossover(both in receiver and sub) will keep all the low frequencies in the sub and out of your other speakers.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks