1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Connection for Sub to Kenwood VR505?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_Sch, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Brent_Sch

Brent_Sch Stunt Coordinator

I just recently entered the HT world and have ordered a DLS 10" sub from partsexpress.com and was wondering what will be the best way to hook it up? The receiver I'm using is the Kenwood VR505. I'm very unexperienced when it comes to wires because I've been putting all my time into learning about the speakers I intend to buy. Now I have that sub ordered but not real sure what will be the best wire and way to hook it up. Obviously, I'd like to try and stay away from those $60 Monster Cable Subwoofer kits for now if at all possible.
    Thanks for reading!
    [​IMG]

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Brent, connect the subwoofer via the "SUB OUT" on the back of your receiver and connect to the RCA input on the sub. Use a good quality VIDEO RCA cable, available at Radio Shack for under $15.

3. Brent_Sch

I'll check those out. Do you know if any of the BB or Circuit City stores carry those cables? They are closer to me than my nearest Radio Shack. Thanks for the help!

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Yes Brent, Best Buy carries Acoustic Research brand audio video cables. You could just get an "AR" sub cable or an "AR" 75 ohm Video RCA cable, either one will work fine.

I'm just thinking you will pay less for the Video RCA cable than the Sub Cable(I believe both of these cables are of identical construction). I also think either one will be around $20.

How many feet do you need?

5. Joe Coccimiglio

Hello Gentlemen, I have a question about this setup. Sean when you say "Sub-Out" from the receiver is that "Pre-sub out" or just "Sub-out"? I know it sounds like a dumb question but on a VR-506 this an option. I was just wondering I'm still green at this.

6. Brent_Sch

Got my sub today and I'm still somewhat confused. I've found some help on the polkaudio website (they have a nice explanation of HT setup) but I still can't quite figure this all out. I understand about plugging it into the "pre-out sub out" connection in the receiver but plugging it into the sub is confusing me. I thought it was plug into receiver and then plug into sub type of connection but I was wrong.
    Here is the sub I have and the back of it is pictured towards the middle of the page.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-630&DID=7
    The cables you told me to buy earlier seem like they have only two adapters...one for the receiver and one for the sub but it seems like I need more.
    Thanks for taking the time to look at this! [​IMG]