Best config to integrate a universal DVD player in my setup..

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ranga, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

I am in the market for a new DVD player and looking for a sub $300 DVD player (Pioneer 578a / Yamaha 6760/6770).

I have an external DAC for 2-ch that's connected to the CD input of a 5-ch preamp. The pre-amp's Xover settings are active only for 2-ch sources and the pre-amp has no decoder.

I have an ACI Force sub that has both line-level and RCA inputs but only one is active at any time.

What's the best way to integrate a universal player (with DTS decoding) in this setup without an ICBM? Will the choice of player help in enabling an optimal config?

Thanks

-Ranga

2. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

Anyone?

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

just keep in mind that most, if not all, universal players DO NOT reroute the LFE channel to the analog main outs (the way receiver/pre/pros do) when set up with NO SUB.

this is very important for your configuration concerns. do you want to do multichannel hirez or just 2-channel?

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

You have a 5 channel preamp? How is your sub connected to it now?

The DVD player will do all the decoding necessary, but as stated you will lose the LFE channel if you only have 5 channels connected.

You could just connect the LFE output jack directly to the sub, but then it is not connect to the pre-amp for the rest of your sources.

5. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to have one config for both 2-ch and multi-ch/DTS.
    I have it currently setup so that the sub-out from the DVD player connects to the sub-in on the pre-amp. The sub-out from the pre-amp goes to the high-level input on the sub.

I used the high-level input on the sub instead of the theater-direct input as I cannot adjust the levels on the sub-out on my current DVD player. This allows me to use the sub's volume to control the loudness of the signal instead of the DVD player/pre-amp.

The bass mgmt on the DVD player is set to SMALL for all speakers (I think the Xover is 100Hz). There's no way to set the NO SUB option on the DVD player.

I am looking for a DVD player that will allow me to either bypass bass mgmt or customize it so that I can control the Xover and volume from the sub.

6. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

bump?!