Best College Fight Song

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I decided to take a break from movies for a second. What do you all think is the greatest college fight song or songs? For myself, putting personal prejudices aside, I've made the following choices.
    Rocky Top
    - Damn Volunteers. I have to admit, they really do have the best college fight song (although I've heard it's not really the official one). Easy to sing and gets the crowd fired up
    Notre Dame's
    - They're the epitome of college football, and their fight song is evident of that.
    On On U of K
    - Sue me. Go Cats!!! (Oh I wish for once the offense and the defense on our football team have a good day at the same time. Can't wait for basketball season [​IMG] )
    Ohio States's We Don't Give a Damn for the Whole State of Michigan
    - I have nothing against Michigan, but this song's pretty funny.
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
    My DVD Collection

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Warning: Biased Alumni Pick [​IMG]
    ND Fight Song
    Alternate: Michigan's fight song is another favorite, though I can't stand the school or team. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Joseph S on October 02, 2001 at 11:59 PM]

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Being a NOLE alumni it can only be the FSU war chant..
    ------------------

4. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

The Michigan Wolverines, Hail To The Victor's is the greatest fight song ever! This isn't even subject to debate from Notre Dame fans. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Dark Tower
    [​IMG]
    Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

5. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    As far as ND is concerned, they are NOT the epitome of any college sports. I hate them with a passion, those stuck-up snobby arrogant bastards. [​IMG]
    Of course, there's no question that Purdue is the best!!!
    I'm an alumni, of course!!
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

6. Dome Vongvises

Notre Dame the epitome of college football?
    yes
    But do I hate them?
    definitely [​IMG]
    How does that work out?
    Took some willpower to overcome my anger.
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
    My DVD Collection

7. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

8. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I'll admit that the Michigan fight song is probably the best, but only when sung with the alternate lyrics.
    "Hail to those motherfuckers,
    Hail to those big cocksuckers,
    ...."
    Sorry, that's all I remember. From the Purdue perspective, the highest concentrations of evil in the world are Indiana University, the University of Notre Dame, and the University of Michigan. But we love Michigan when compared to the Buckeye faithful. [​IMG]
    Brad

9. Mark Tomlin

Mark Tomlin Agent

Notre Dame and Michigan both have great fight songs, but neither hold a candle to the greatest of them all, On, Wisconsin, fight song of, naturally, the University of Wisconsin. Of course, since I am a UW grad, I might be a little biased. I was at a high school game in Arizona a few weeks ago and the visiting school played it over and over. Almost brought a tear to my eye. Take a listen.
    On Wisconsin
    ------------------

10. Dome Vongvises

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I don't really pay much attention to the music at college football games, but there is one I like a lot, I think it's probably USC's.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

12. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

quote: Rocky Top
    - Damn Volunteers. I have to admit, they really do have the best college fight song (although I've heard it's not really the official one). Easy to sing and gets the crowd fired up[/quote]
    Yes. Even the competition recognizes! You gotta love it when you're surrounded by 108,000 (yes folks, Neyland Stadium is -that- big) screaming rednecks, hillbillies and good ol' boys (and there's is a difference) that get to wear their finest hunting jackets (as school colors, mind you) and you hear this song being played. For those uninitiated, here are the lyrics:
    Wish that I was on ol' ROCKY TOP,
    Down in the Tennessee hills;
    Ain't no smoggy smoke on ROCKY TOP,
    Ain't no telephone bills.
    Once I had a girl on ROCKY TOP,
    Half bear, other half cat;
    Wild as a mink, but sweet as soda pop,
    I still dream about that.
    (Chorus)
    ROCKY TOP, you'll always be
    Home sweet home to me;
    Good ol' ROCKY TOP--
    ROCKY TOP Tennessee.
    Once two strangers climbed ol' ROCKY TOP
    Looking for a moonshine still;
    Strangers ain't come down from ROCKY TOP
    Reckon they never will.
    Corn won't grow on ROCKY TOP
    Dirt's too rocky by far;
    That's why all the folks on ROCKY TOP
    Get their corn from a jar.
    (Chorus)
    Ah, I tell all the people I meet who have just moved here that they must go to a UT game at least once. It's a great experience.
    ------------------
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
    My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001
    [Edited last by John Thomas on October 04, 2001 at 02:43 AM]

13. John Johnson

John Johnson Agent

I'm pretty sick of Michigan's fight song... Hearing it for the last 25 years - it tends to become sort of fingernails-on-blackboard annoying. I have to agree that Notre Dame's is my favorite, but them being the epitome of college football?! Come on, if you believe that, I have a line on some property...

14. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The University of Washington's Fight song sucks and is boring to sing (but I just work here, I didn't go here).
    The Evergreen State College doesn't have a fight song, but we do have a school song, which I can't remember. When I went there we were trying to get the school song changed to Are You Experienced? but THE MAN wouldn't let us. Fascists! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

15. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Have to throw my 2 cents in...
    Navy's fight song is obviously the greatest! We use it when going to war as well.
    As for Navy-ND keeping real football off TV, you must mean real football as played by kids who are praying they get drafted b/c they aren't quite understanding their "Physical Studies" major, and the $100 they get for a tackle from rich alumni has been wasted on pot and strippers, but damn they run fast. I know my team can't recruit for s**t out of high school, but our players play with more heart than 99% of other college players. That's my rant, sorry for the defensive posture, and no offense meant to any others.
    Sorry you have to endure 2 Navy games a year. I'm sure other channels have real football on!
    Take care [​IMG]
    Chuck
    ------------------
    He had a plan. Maybe you just didn't see it 'til it hit you between the eyes. But, it started to make sense... in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I'm biased. I'll take any of Penn State's fight songs ("Fight on State", "Victory", or "Hail to the Lion"). As a trumpet player in the Penn State Blue Band once upon a time, I remember that we were amused at how basic a song "Hail to the Victors" actually is to play. You hear it in your head, grab the trumpet, and you're playing it perfectly with no music in no time. There ain't much to it. By the way, I have a great deal of respect for the school.
    As a Penn Stater, I think the "fight song" that has always amused me the most is one that the University of Pittsburgh's band plays in the stands at all sporting events. I do not know the song title, but all I know is that the Pitt band intersperses the cheer "Penn State Sucks!" throughout the song. And this is against any opponent in any sport. Go to a Pitt-Georgetown basketball game, and the Pitt band will yell "Penn State Sucks!". Kind of amusing, but also quite sad. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

17. Dome Vongvises

Don't you just love it when things go bump in the night [​IMG] ?
    Anyways, tommorow's my birthday so I'd like to know what everybody's picks are for winning the bigger games. I'd say
    Oklahoma over Texas
    - Major Applewhite got screwed over and some form of karmal retribution is going to happen. This just might be it.
    Florida over LSU
    - I hate the Gators only when Kentucky plays them. Oh well, Florida has the best chance from the SEC to win the national title. They need this victory. GO SEC!!!
    Tennessee over Georgia
    - The guys and their hunting jackets are going to beat the Goeja Bulldogs.
    Penn State over Michigan
    - It's going to happen. I'm not a Penn State fan at all, but Joe Pa is one of the classiest coaches I've ever watched on television. I'd wish he'd get his wins. No offense to Guy Morris, but if some of you fair-weather fans up in Happy Valley don't want him, we'll glady take him here [​IMG]
    BYU over Utah State
    - I liked Gary Crowton during his days at LA Tech, and I like the BYU program.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

18. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
  19. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

20. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

BOOMER SOONER! realistically I don't think there is fight song out there that gets fans more riled up than this. Its simple strait forward and gets to the point. Of course there is always OK OKLAHOMA and FIGHT FOR OKU.
    Incidentally I think OU has the most official fight songs.
    and yes this is an extremely biased choice [​IMG]
    If I had to pick a second best fight song I would have to go with ON WISCONSIN.
    14-3 OU over saxeT [​IMG]