Best Coffee Maker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_F, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

The old machine is ready for retirement.

I'm looking for a 10 or 12 cup countertop model. My kitchen counter is microscopic, so (small) size matters. I have about 18" height clearance which includes any space needed to pour water in. It must have auto shutoff and programmable start time. Plenty of dishwasher safe parts are a big plus. Black or almond color preferred.

The Cuisinart Brew Central and the Grind and Brew look pretty good. Anybody have any experience with these?

It looks like there are some good machines around $100. Let's say my max is $150, and maybe a little more for something outstanding. After all, it is the most important appliance in the house.

2. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

I have the grind and brew. I love it, but it does require more cleaning than the average coffee maker. There are four separate parts that require daily cleaning, if you include the caraffe. It's worth it if you really enjoy a good cup of coffee.

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I agree, I dont have one of the grind and brews but my aunt and uncle do, and they love it. I'm regestering for one for my wedding this fall. The one I've seen is made by Cuisenart (sp).

4. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I have a Cusinart grind and brew with a built in timer. It's great! The only drawback is it sounds like a jet is taking off in your kitchen when the grinder goes off at 5:50 am. I can even hear it when I'm upstairs in the shower! It's about $100 but well worth it.

Ralph

5. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

Braun Flavorselect. I've had it for a couple of years, and its great. Before I bought I did reserach and looked around alot and these are pretty good. You can use a water filter if you want, that lasts about 2 months. Or just go without it. You can also use the permanent mesh filter, but in the end we ended up using paper filters.
    it has adjustable flavor, adjustable temp, auto-program, programmed time-off, and its very easy to physically manipulate. even if you've had too many cups. [​IMG]

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I broke a caraffe on my Oster coffee maker a couple years ago, and had a long discussion about this subject with my local coffee professional, Jamie of Jamie's General Bean about this subject. Jamie's is the best. they roast their beans on premesis, and Jamie is passionate about coffee. Here's a few things I learned:
    * The more complicated the machine is, the worse. Brewing coffee is a simple process.
    * Never grind beans at home. Unless you have a professional grinding machine. The quality of the grind has a huge effect on the taste and quality of the coffee you drink. The little choppers you buy at Starbucks or a kitchen store are nice little toys, but they do an extremely bad job at actually grinding the beans. Also, machines that grind are very bad.
    * Never keep your coffee in the refigerator or freezer if you drink it regularly. Get an air tight cannister and leave it on the counter. Condensation in the freezer and refrigerator is terrible for coffee. If you drink it rarely (like decaf in my house) the freezer or fridge are OK, but the coffee won't be as fresh as it could be.
    * The best home coffee machine: a $20 Mr. Coffee. There's a reason that theyt have been in business the longest. Replacement carrafes are readily available.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

7. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Starbucks is probably the best coffee machine even though it is an evil unstoppable coffee machine that must be stopped at all costs. [​IMG]

8. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

If you are a big coffee drinker (all day and night) you might want to consider the Bunn. It is bit pricey, as compared to others, but it is the only brewer that always has hot water on board in a stainless steel tank. It makes a full 12 cups in under 3 to 4 minutes. It is available in 10 and 12 cup versions. It has no built-in grinder or timer. It also constantly keeps the water at the proper brewing temperture. Bunn, as you may know, is the largest maker/distributor of commercial coffee brewers in the U.S.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I despise coffee, but my parents have had one of those bunn makers for probably 10 years and it seems great, makes a pot nearly instantly since it's got the hot water on tap at all times.

10. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Instead of an auto-start timer ... I much prefer X-10 control. Allows me to turn it on from the bedroom whenever I get up, and it always shuts off at 9:30 AM (or whatever you set it for ... so you don't have to worry if you left it on).

But, if you want to do this, you'll have to find a coffee maker with a physical on/off switch, rather than a momentary contact button. If you already have an X-10 mini-timer/controller, you'll actually save money. You'll simply need an appliance module ($8 at the Shack)

Scott

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

12. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

It's hard to go wrong with a Bunn "Bunn-o-matic".

They're built like tanks and have an actual hot water heater so you get a full pot of coffee in less than 3 minutes. It uses generic filters that cost

13. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Best coffee maker?
    [male chauvinist pig joke]Um, the secretary?[/male chauvinist pig joke]
    [​IMG]

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

15. Larry Price

Larry Price Stunt Coordinator

Its amazing this topic came up - since Im also in the market for a coffeemaker and a toaster/toasteroven.

Leaning towards the Cuisinart Brewcentral - maybe mostly out of looks, which I know is the wrong way to go. I was also looking at a Delonghi with a thermal carafe, but it looked to plasticky (sp?) compared to the Brewcentral which looks very commercial/industrial. Best price I found was at Bed / Bath with a 20% off coupon.

I also have space constraints to consider.

For toasters Im also undecided - but maybe towards the

Cuisinart or Delonghi retro looking appliances.

16. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

17. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

I roast my own coffee at home and know a bit about coffee. I also own a Cuisinart Grind and Brew, but would not recommend it if you are going to use that as your only grinder. It uses a whirly blade grinder that makes a lot of fine dust particles that will sneak through your gold-tone mesh filter and contaminate your coffee. You could use a paper filter instead of the supplied gold tone but then you will absorb a lot of the coffee's oils and empart the coffee with that pulpy taste of a paper filter. You would be better off buying a cheap drip maker (or better yet, a press pot) and invest your money in a good grinder. About 2 weeks ago I spotted the Bodium Antigua grinder at Target on clearance for $35 (Normally $70). Probably the best grinder under $100.

As far as the Grind and Brew is concerned, it is a heck of a coffee maker. There are lots of things you can adjust, like the pot temperature, amount of water that flows over the beans (prevents overextraction of the beans which will give you a bitter acidic taste), etc. I use mine as a drip machine only, but on occasions where I know I have to get up early and cannot take the extra 2 minutes to grind the beans before hand I'll use the built in grinder.

If you can afford it the Capresso Coffee Team Plus would be a better choice. It uses a connical burr grinder, and has a built in water filter. I remember seeing refurbished ones from Capresso for $99 (regularly $199). If you wait around enough you can pick up the Refurbed Cuisinart from Amazon for $39.95 during the Friday Sales (I see them pop up once every 2-3 months). I got mine for $35 + shipping (used a $5 off $35 coupon).

As far as coffee goes, air and light are your enemies for your cup of fresh Joe. Keep your beans out of the light and in a air tight container. One of the bags with a one way valve that you can squeeze all the air out of is the best way to store your coffee. Coffee I roast usually has to degass for about 4-12 hours before it obtains optimum flavor, and usually goes stale in about 7-10 days. You do not want to grind your beans until right before you drink it, because when you chop it up you increase the surface area exposed to air and it goes stale in just a few minutes. Now, if you drink folders or some of that Charbucks crap it's probably already stale, so go ahead and get it ground up.

18. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Thanks for the responses. I ended up buying the Brew Central. It's very adjustable, well constructed and it does indeed look great. It's a little taller than I wanted, but I can work around that.

The Grind and Brew is a little bigger and the higher day to day maintenance is not my cup of tea, so to speak.

I love Bunn coffee makers, but I forget to turn off the warming plate so often that auto shutoff is an absolute "must have" feature.

I'm sure the new machine will be fine. I'll report back if it only makes godawful sludge (or worse-weak coffee!)

19. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Try the GEVALIA free coffee maker! You join the club and pay $10.00 you get 1lb of Gevalia coffee and the FREE coffee-maker. You can cancel at anytime.

20. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I have the Grind and Brew and I love it. It does require a lot more maintenance and cleaning, but worth it IMO.