Best Choice: Panny RP82 or Tosh SD5700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Cro, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Jeff Cro

Jeff Cro Auditioning

I'm interested in getting the best picture quality and sound quality out of a DVD player in the $200 range.

My current short list is:
    Panasonic RP82
    Toshiba SD 5700
    Toshiba SD 4700

Do any of you have a strong preference for any one of these? Is there another unit I should consider?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

2. Matthew_F

Matthew_F Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jeff,

Well I prefer to get the RP-82 because it's a very great unit. I currently own one of these and it's definately worth to buy. Another reason to get this one is because Panasonic manufactures their products in Japan while you look at Toshiba, it's made in China, so there is also impression on the quality of make as well.

Matt

3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I own both a RP-82 and a SD-4700 (don't ask me why). The Toshiba definitely has the better remote. [​IMG] The Panasonic has a built-in dts decoder, so you caould run everything through the analog-outs, with no digital connections, although you probably already knew that. I prefer the Panasonic's on-screen programing menu, although the Toshiba's has more bells and whistles.
    Other than that, I can't really tell too much diference, sound and picture wise. Oh, yeah, the Panasonic is a rather garish silver.

4. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, what will your display be? Do you watch much video (vs film)? Do you want/need scaling? I demoed both the RP-82 against the 4700 on my Mits 65819. For video material I thought the RP-82 was far superior; for film they were close, but I gave the edge to the RP-82. The RP-82 does not allow you to scale non-anamorphic or 4:3 discs (so I use the Mits "expand" mode) I went with the RP-82 and have been very happy with it, but your needs may be different.

5. Jeff Cro

Jeff Cro Auditioning

Robert,

I'm actually looking at getting the Mits 65819 or the 65411. So if you can give me some more details on what you liked and disliked it would be a huge help for me.