What's new

Directors Best cheesy 80's action montage music. (1 Viewer)

JonathonSan

Stunt Coordinator
OK, this was prompted because of last nights hilarious South Park episode of the boys playing on a little league team. The episode was using the song "You're the Best Around" from Karate Kid and Rocky's "Eye of the Tiger" to accompany the action montages. So my question is this, name your favorite cheesy 80's movie action montage music. Ya know, every time the protagonist is either "on a roll" or gearing up for action, a cheesy tough or positive song is played.

Jonathon

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Bad To The Bone was used quite a bit after John Carpenter used it in Christine

Holding Out for a Hero - Bonnie Tyler

When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going - Billy Ocean

Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins

Rebel Yell - Billy Idol

I Can't Drive 55 - Sammy Hagar

Break My Stride - Matthew Wilder

Many many more.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I think about 75 percent of the running time of Rocky IV is cheesy montage set to music. The rest is maybe 20 percent boxing and 5 percent of people actually talking to each other :)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I only heard about this episode, didn't see it, but didn't South Park do an episode once where they used "Take it to the Limit" for a Scarface-style top-of-the-world montage?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Best crappy 80's action montage music...

I don't know what will win, but I think Johnny 5 from the Short Circuit movies will be involved somehow.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Tina Turner's "Beyond the Thunderdome" as an action-film crap moment is up there.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I can't believe no one's mentioned this yet. How about the ultra-meta song called "Montage" from the Team America CD? Complete with cheesy 80s synth and lyrics explaining the cliches of a montage.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"Brave Heart" from Ernest Goes To Camp (obviously an inspiration for Mel Gibson's later Oscar-winner)

Real Genius

The Wizard ("I Live By The Groove")

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
The Breakfast Club

Beverly Hills Cop

Howard the Duck

Revenge of the Nerds

Breakin'

Barry Gordy's The Last Dragon

Basically any youth-market movie from 1983 - 1986 is suspect. I think there was a DeBarge number in Amadeus, a Thompson Twins number in The Right Stuff and a Bananarama number in The Killing Fields, but all were cut from release prints due to protests from Amnesty Intl.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Ah, OK, I'd mis-remembered the title as "Take It to the Limit." Not a re-make of the Eagles song, to be sure. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks