Best/cheapest way to sound deaden a room?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike Becher, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Mike Becher

Mike Becher Auditioning

I'm looking for the way to effectivly sound deaden a room. I've heard that egg crates are the cheapest, but it seems to easy to be true. Do they really work? If so, how well? Like they work well for being free kind of thing, or they work just as good as a moderatly priced alternative?

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Egg crates are better than a flat wall, but not particularly effective compared to "real" acoustic treatements. And they're ugly.

"Waffle foam" as used in mattress pads is better, but still ugly in off-white. Markertek's Markerfoam is a nice studio gray and only about $1. per square foot. This stuff has absorption coefficient near 1 down to a few kilohertz

Markertek also sells "blade tiles" that are better still, but more expensive. Deeper blades extend absorption down to lower frequencies. The 4" wedges have absorption coefficients above 1 down to about 300Hz!

The last time I checked, Auralex had slightly better pricing than Markertek on blade tiles. They also offer more colors and have some classy-looking patterns... like their "skyline" series.

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Fabric wrapped Owens Corning 703 2" semi rigid fiberglass panels are 2' x 4' and have significantly better absorption coefficients than the foam. Of course, for freqs below 100 Hz, you'll need much thicker panels....

Pete

4. I agree with Pete. I used a Knauf (similar to the 703) to help with the room. from 200hz on up, it seems to work pretty well for the "relatively" small amount that I used (compared to what you may want). I had a reallllllly live room to start. It is far from dead, but MUCH better than where I came from. For the sub 200hz stuff, you want to build bass traps.

(knauf makes the pannels up to 4" thick iirc)

5. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I've been acoustically treating my room for the last two weeks and the differences are immediate. The main thing you should do is order the book below:

Robert Harley

Robert has a wonderful chapter on room acoustics that everyone should read.

When you are ready to purchase some material to not exactly "DEADEN" your room but treat the problem areas, you may want to look at the below products:

PARTS EXPRESS

PARTS EXPRESS #2

Eighth Nerve

The Key to treating your room is being able to recognize your problem areas and address them while creating a balance of absorption, reflection and reverbaration that your system has a chance to be heard at it's best. Without the OBVIOUS room problems addressed, you'll never be able to experience your system at it's highest potential.

Also, if you over treat your room you run the risk of killing the high frequency information and zapping the life out of your sound stage.

Get the book first and then slowly address your rooms problem areas.

Good Luck

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

7. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

Martice- Thanks for the book suggestion. I just placed it on hold at my local Library!

Ronnie

8. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Don't use egg crates that have had eggs in them - salmonella danger! I'm serious.

9. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor