Best Cheap Two Channel Amplifier?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

With "cheap" I mean no more than $300.00. Which one will you recommend and why?
    Thanks!
    ------------------

2. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Its weird. I think I'm just asking the wrong questions... How come that my two last ones doesn't get any reply?? [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. Robert_James

Robert_James Extra

You can get the Audiosource Amp Two (80W/channel @ 8ohms) for less than $300. I know nothing about it other than it's received pretty favorable reviews at AudioReview If you do a search, there are plenty of places to buy.
    AbtElectronics has an Onkyo M282 (105W/channel @ 8ohms) for $250, but it appears to be on backorder. Onecall.com has the same amp in stock for $300. I know nothing about it other than Onkyo's name so it's probably not a screaming piece of junk.
    A variety of Adcom amps can be found on ebay for around that price. Adcom's quality control seems to be extremely variable, so you may get a jewel of an amp, or a dog.
    Cambridge Audio makes the P500 (85W/channel @ 8ohms) that can also be had around $300 and has received favorable reviews (just 2 of them, however) at audioreview.
    If you want to spend a little more, the Acurus A100X3 (100W/channel @ 8ohms, 3 channels) can be had for less than $400 at ubid.com if the auction goes your way (expect to pay $35± in shipping handling which takes like 2 weeks). It's a discontinued model but they're new, will full 2-yr. warranty by Mondial, which is owned by Klipsch. They are very fine amplifiers and are an extremely good deal at those prices. For more info on Mondial/Acurus go to the Klipsch web site.
    Those should get you started. Take the reviews at AudioReview with a sizeable grain of salt as there are some real dinkuses (dinkii?) that submit them.
    [Edited last by Robert_James on September 01, 2001 at 06:17 PM]

4. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody have any ideas for an even cheaper 2 channel amp. I need one to drive a pair of NHT OutdoorOne speakers. I have a Yamaha RXV-992 receiver that I am moving to a game room to use for 2 channel audio only (using NHT SuperOne XUs). I also want to use the room 2 output feature of the Yamaha but it is line level only. So I need a 2 channel amp for my patio speakers. I think I need an amp with a volume control because I don't think you can control the room 2 volume with the Yamaha. I am open to used or refurb. Thanks.
    Jay