1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Cheap Two Channel Amplifier?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

With "cheap" I mean no more than $300.00. Which one will you recommend and why?
    Thanks!
    ------------------

2. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Its weird. I think I'm just asking the wrong questions... How come that my two last ones doesn't get any reply?? [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. Robert_James

Robert_James Extra

You can get the Audiosource Amp Two (80W/channel @ 8ohms) for less than $300. I know nothing about it other than it's received pretty favorable reviews at AudioReview If you do a search, there are plenty of places to buy.
    AbtElectronics has an Onkyo M282 (105W/channel @ 8ohms) for $250, but it appears to be on backorder. Onecall.com has the same amp in stock for $300. I know nothing about it other than Onkyo's name so it's probably not a screaming piece of junk.
    A variety of Adcom amps can be found on ebay for around that price. Adcom's quality control seems to be extremely variable, so you may get a jewel of an amp, or a dog.
    Cambridge Audio makes the P500 (85W/channel @ 8ohms) that can also be had around $300 and has received favorable reviews (just 2 of them, however) at audioreview.
    If you want to spend a little more, the Acurus A100X3 (100W/channel @ 8ohms, 3 channels) can be had for less than $400 at ubid.com if the auction goes your way (expect to pay $35± in shipping handling which takes like 2 weeks). It's a discontinued model but they're new, will full 2-yr. warranty by Mondial, which is owned by Klipsch. They are very fine amplifiers and are an extremely good deal at those prices. For more info on Mondial/Acurus go to the Klipsch web site.
    Those should get you started. Take the reviews at AudioReview with a sizeable grain of salt as there are some real dinkuses (dinkii?) that submit them.
    [Edited last by Robert_James on September 01, 2001 at 06:17 PM]

4. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody have any ideas for an even cheaper 2 channel amp. I need one to drive a pair of NHT OutdoorOne speakers. I have a Yamaha RXV-992 receiver that I am moving to a game room to use for 2 channel audio only (using NHT SuperOne XUs). I also want to use the room 2 output feature of the Yamaha but it is line level only. So I need a 2 channel amp for my patio speakers. I think I need an amp with a volume control because I don't think you can control the room 2 volume with the Yamaha. I am open to used or refurb. Thanks.
    Jay