What's new

Best Cheap Subwoofer...or should I build one? (1 Viewer)

Chris Trot

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend an inexpensive subwoofer that sounds decent. I have heard good things about the Sony WM40, but I was wondering if it was even worth it to skimp on a sub. I don't really have the cash to invest in a $500 sub, so my options are limited. I also was wondering if anyone has tried building a sub and if I would be better going that route. Thanks for any help.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
You should build one if you have access to a router (or something else that can cut a perfect 10"+ hole). For $200 in materials you can build a very nice sub. Check out the DIY area of this forum for some design ideas ('sonotube' link at the top of that page).

ErichH

Screenwriter
Get an AudioSource 12 at amazon 200.00- when it arrives, unscrew the speaker and add(glue in) bracing in the corners and a front to back brace as close to the speaker hole as possible - 1X1 or 1.5in hardwood works best. Line the interior of the box with white R19 or something close using spray contact cement and suff the box with some fiber fill from radio shack. Close and break it in. A Great little 12inch sub when you fix it.
They sound OK as is, but the retro makes it perform much better.

E

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
$200 is cutting it really tight. If you can up that to $250, do some careful shopping for enclosure materials and live with an unfinished sub until you get the money to put a finish on it, you could build a sub that would be significantly better than the Sony or Audiosource12 (in both output and sound quality).

$220 (plus shipping) could buy you a Dayton DVC12", PE 300-792 and a 4" flared port kit. With those parts you could build something like the Twins on my website (link in my sig).

One other remote possibility would be if you could still find someone with an original SVS driver to sell. They were going for $40.

Bob_Hammond

Agent
Get the Sony. If you look around you can buy it for around $150, and it sounds a whole lot better then no sub. Save your money for a while, and eventually replace it with something better, and sell the Sony for $75.

Bob

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Without a doubt get the JBL PB-10 at JandR. Even though this sub is fairly well regarded for the money, I think it is COMPLETELY underrated. It is not the best sub a person can buy, but, for the money it is the best you can get for music/movies IMO(apart from a DIY sub if you know what you are doing). Here is a link to the sub at JandR for $199 and the shipping is free:
http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...uct_Id=2657446
Have fun :)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Dang, that link is pretty cool. I really did Mark K's traditional design. Wish I had the knowledge to do something like that....

Aaron

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, requires very little knowledge if you just copy another design that works well. All it takes is some basic wood working skills and patience.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,
How many "patients" does it take to build a sub? :)
Sorry, I've had a VERY bad week and need to take some shots at a buddy! BTW, did you take that job?
Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
What are you talking about, I mean damn homonyms :p)

I haven't heard back from them yet. They said it would be two weeks. Even if they offered it I don't know that I would take it (given my rather lucky situation I'm not really desperate yet). Although it would be something to add to my resume, a year or more of procedural coding on systems from as far back as 1977 isn't what I would call good experience. Would be a pain to get back or OOP after I left and I'd have developed many bad programming habits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks