Best cheap HT in a box?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I have a friend looking to get some 5.1 sound for his new DVD player. He's not lookin for the big high tech stuff, but a reciever/speaker set that's under $500, but still worthwhile. I started mine 2 years ago with a $500 sony setup and it was good but after I learned about HT stuff I figured out how I wasted my money on something that was actually pretty sucky, so I don't want him to go through that too [​IMG]
    He thinks he has to get Bose "because they're the best, right?" .. trying hard to convince him otherwise [​IMG] But, what I really want him to get is a decent receiver that can do DD/DTS and has a few optical spots in the back for DVD and PS2, and s-video switching for both too. Can anyone recomend a system with maybe a link or 2? He doesn't need the built-in dvd player kind, just a receiver and all the speakers. It's for a small room, maybe 12x16 I think...

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

the kenwood htb-504 is probably the most recommended htb here. i heard it and agree that it sounded pretty decent. i liked it better than sony or yamaha htb's.

3. MarkMaestas

MarkMaestas Agent

4. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Kenwood HTB-504 for my son.

The receiver has plenty of S-Video inputs and enough digital inputs for a good sized system.

Lastly, it sounds really good.

If it's a large room, he may need to upgrade the sub.

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I was in the same position and I decided to go with the Kenwood 504 $388 at C-City in store special.112 off reg price.Plus I bought a seconed 12"120 watt sony sub WM-40 to go with,$135 at video only.65 off reg price.Being my first system I am very pleased.I can't begin to turn this thing up.Plenty of power in reserve and the sound to me is so much better than the others I have herd in this price range.I know there are better but this with the extra sub and the 1700 toshiba DVD and big screen does it for me.I'm hooked.Good luck in your search. Steve nn PS.I'm very glad that I took a few months and investigated your very same question.Two subs add a lot dynamics.