Best cheap 27" help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Ipp, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Michael Ipp

Michael Ipp Stunt Coordinator

I currently have no TV, Just sold my Sony 36" XBR400. I really want to wait and see the Toshiba 65HX81 RPTV due out in Sept.
    In the meantime, I am going crazy without no TV. No DVD's, no playstation [​IMG]
    I think I might get a cheap but good tv for the time being then retire that to the bedroom.
    Any suggestions?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I bet people heard me say this before but you can't go wrong with a 27" JVC. Looks great OOTB and it's the easiest to do the anamrphic squeeze on (under 5 button presses). Good luck with whatever happens!

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Check out the Toshiba 27A40/27A41 or the JVC D series 27 inch model. Both of those have component inputs and should be around $300.
    cheers,
    --tom

4. Michael Ipp

Michael Ipp Stunt Coordinator

Actually, just saw the Toshiba 27AF41 and it should hold me over quite well. It's a couple hundred bucks more then I wanted to spend, but it looks good.
    anybody have opinions on this?

5. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

My 2 cents. JVC or Toshiba & if you really want to go cheap take a look at the picture on a Samsung it may surprise you [​IMG]

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

If you want something a little less expensive than the Toshiba or JVC, also look at a 25 or 27 inch Sharp. I have a friend who is quite happy watching dvds through the Svideo port on his 27 inch Sharp.
    cheers,
    --tom

7. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

The Sharp has a good picture but the sound is poor compared to SAMSUNG. I think the Samsung's picture is just as good as the Sharp, maybe even better. Just make sure it's the 27 inch model with the "FLAT TYPE" tube not the really cheap model that has the "ROUND TYPE" tube.

8. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Just a reminder: If you buy JVC products you'll be supporting their scheme to take away our freedom to watch HDTV anytime we want. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection

9. BobRy

BobRy Auditioning

You mention 5 button presses on the JVC to get the anamorphic squeeze (16:9) mode. Is it on the user menu somewhere? I haven't found it on the ones I looked in the store (AV-27F702).
    If it's there, then I don't have to buy a WEGA...
    Thanks,
    Bob

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Bob, as far as I know, the JVCs do not have a user menu level squeeze/unsqueeze feature. It has to be done through the service menu.
    cheers,
    --tom