What's new

Best center channel for under $200 to go with my AS-F2 fronts... (1 Viewer)

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have my center as the Onkyo one that originally came with my HTiB. I'd like to upgrade to a speaker that would go nicely with my AS-F2s. The Onkyo is a significant downgrade in quality and it is noticable in movies and such. I've thought about picking up the Athena C1 but I've read lots of negative comments about it on this very forum. So I'm here to ask, what center speaker should I get as a center that will be able to keep up with my AS-F2s.

BTW, I'm using my old Onkyo fronts as my rears now, and they seem to do a good job.

Will-Layfield

Stunt Coordinator
I think some people have used the book shelf speaker with that combination of speakers. I have read that the center is weak and the biggest flaw of the Athena line of speakers. So I do remember reading that people got the book shelf and turned it on its side as a center but keep fishing for opinions. This is the only way I can see you timbre matching the three fronts without using the center.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, but I was thinking the Athena bookshelf would look ultra goofy on top of my HDTV. Anyone have pics of this?

Also, where can I order a single speaker from? Do people use the B1 or B2 speaker? Where can I order a single B2 from?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I love that picture Chuck, it remind of the line from Aladdin "fantastic cosmic powers....itty bitty living space" but in this case "Fantastic surround sound....itty bitty TV"

Kidding"D

THe AS-c1 is fine, it's just more forward sounding. I've noticed that if I set it to large iy sounds better.

Brent

Chuck_W

Second Unit
You're right brent...my 27" is a little out of proportion with the sound system!! Waiting til we move next year before investing in a big boy set....

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator

Chuck,

Nice pictures btw which SVS Sub is that, I have the same setup F2's and wanted to match it with a SVS.

Thanks

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator

Yours is the 600rms version? The reason I ask is because there is a $300 price difference from the PB2 330 rms and PB2/2 600 rms and wondering exactly if I need the more powerful one or not, and how does it match your speakers.

Thanks alot!

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
Well how would an Athena AS-F1 work as a center? I saw them today at BB for $99/speaker. Could I place it on top of my Sony HDTV, or would it be too big?

Also, anyone know where I can buy a single AS-B2?

darrylCHER

Stunt Coordinator
kurt, I use 3 AS-C1's for my center, left and right. I use 2 AS-B1's for my surrounds and 1 AS-P400 sub, all powered by a Yamaha HTR-5760.

These forums are great, BUT you have to listen for yourself and decide what YOU like!!

As for me, The Athena AS-C1 sounds perfect. Dialogue is outstanding and they handle everything I throw at them and ask for more. They are very neutral sounding and very dynamic.

I think you're referring to the negative comments regarding the Athenas "lack of high end". Everyone has different likes and dislikes, some will say "bright" others will say "harsh".

If I were in your position, I would get the AS-C1 and never look back. It will match your F-series perfectly.

As a side note. I had AS-B1's all around with the AS-C1 center and it sounded great. But I replaced the fronts with 2 more AS-C1's and the sound stage is awesome!! Sound pans from all around, but especially left-center-right are truly seamless.

For ME I couldn't be happier with the AS-C1's. Go audition one for yourself and see what YOU like!!

Darryl

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
^^^never heard of anyone using 3 AS-C1s before. Thanks for you suggestions...

Here's my question. Would an AS-C1 sound better than an AS-F1 sideways on top of my TV? Which would be better to match my AS-F2s?

I can get an AS-C1 for $154, and a AS-F1 for $99.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Awhile back I was using a Paradigm 3SE MKIII as a center with my Paradigm 5SE MKIII floorstanding speakers. I experimented with it upright, sideways with the tweeter in the center, and sideways with the cabinet centered, and upside down. I heard NO difference in upside down, sideways w/ tweeter centered, and sideways w/ cabinet centered. Standard upright sounded the worste because it placed the tweeter much higher than the mains. So a bookshelf on its side should work just fine and be nearly as astheticly pleasing as a standard center.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks