Best CEILING Surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReneA, Jul 9, 2002.

1. ReneA

ReneA Agent

I'm moving into a new house and I'm going to be missing a left wall for my left rear surround. That part of the room opens to the kitchen area. I've been wondering if putting both surrounds on the ceiling would do the trick for me...I've heard good things about Speakercraft, Triad, Thiel and Sonance. Anyone heard about these?

2. Han

Han Second Unit

Mirage has a new "place anywhere" speaker called the Omnisat that seems to be generating a little interest.
    I sort of have the same issue as you, but I just use stands to maintain equidistance of the surrounds while also maintaining ear level placement. I guess it's very early to think about it, but if the surrounds are placed in the ceiling, then where would you put the "height channel" speakers when a format incorporating that comes along?
    [​IMG]

3. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

If you are willing to spend the $$$, the Thiel powerpoints have been highly regarded.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I use the Power Points in the rears of my main system. They are excellent. Thiel's website, www.thielaudio.com, indicates that a new model, an in-ceiling version of the Power Plane, called the Higher Plane is coming out this month.

5. GlennK

GlennK Auditioning

I use triads as my front speakers, LCR golds and will be using their silver surrounds for my surrounds. The triads have excellent bracing and don't bleed as much sound outside it's enclosure. This helps reduce the noise bleed to the rooms above the ceiling speakers (if there are rooms above).

6. Salvatore Restivo

I'm in a similar situation. I have no right side wall and only half a back wall in my home theater. I'm using Definitive Technology UIW-BP/A bipolars as ceiling-mounted surround speakers in a 5.1 setup. Paradigm Reference along the front. I've been quite happy with it. However, I have not yet gotten into DVD-A or SACD. I expect the less-than-perfect timbre-match front-to-back will hurt more when I do. For movies, though, I find it works just fine.