Best CD Player for under 250 bucks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Valeria, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Lee Valeria

Lee Valeria Guest

okay guys, im thinkin i might get a new NAD C350 Integrated amp for xmas, but see, all i have for my cd source is a discman. okay, you can stop laughing now. seriously, it's not a bad sounding source. My setup right now is just for music, and it'll stay that way too. i have an older Sony 80 watt receiver and JBL s26s as my main speakers. i want to know what the best cd player i could get for AT THE MOST 250 is. I've looked into denon, but it seems like they all crap out within 2 years of having them and they dont read scratched CDs well. i have lots of scratched CDs (not my fault) and i need something that is going to be able to read them well. my discman can read them all pretty good, so this isnt really asking for a lot is it?

I'm looking into sony and harmon kardon lately. would either of these be good?? i hear technics arent very good. basically, i dont care about looks or features, i want nice balanced analog sound. i know 250 isnt going to give me the best sound i could have, but i do want something better than the discman and i want high quality sound. tell me what you guys would do in my situation. thanks.

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

marantz cc-3000 hands down....[​IMG] ..I got it for $175 at a local hifi shop...or you could go with the cc-4000

3. Lee Valeria

Lee Valeria Guest

thanks for the reply. what makes it better than the others?? im sure it's good, but i'd like to know what you like about it and all that stuff too. and i live in a small town in california, and im a kid, and my parents dont like taking me 2 hours out of town to look at cd players. so buying online is basically my only choice. do you know any good online dealers that sell marantz?? i'd like to buy online if possible. thanks a lot.

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I was impressed with the overall "warm" and detailed sound of it. I'm using the digital coax output into my ONKYO, but if you're planning to use the analog outs you will not be dissapointed. You could find them at www.ac4l.com (accessories 4 less). they are a factory authorized clearance seller. you could also check www.harveyelectronics.com

5. Ka Yuen

Ka Yuen Agent

AMC CD8B using Burr Brown 24 bit, 96 KHz D/A.

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    www.hifi.com sells the Marantz. thats where i got my CC-4000 ($249). if you want only good sound and dont care about looks, go with the Denon 370 carousel changer. it too has Burr Brown DACs and is a favorite here. i personally think they didnt spend enough time on making it look decent, and i like the efficiency of the Marantz's CD tray more (thats the only reason i didnt go Denon). if you want the factory warranty, you need to buy locally or from www.crutchfield.com -- i dont know of any other online authorized dealer. it should be in the $250 range. spend an extra $20 and get an extended warranty in case it craps out.
    if you really dont want Denon, go Marantz. you will be really impressed by the build quality and how freakin fast that CD carousel is! my CC-4000 is super fast and beats any HK or Sony hands down.
    if you do choose to go Sony, get the CA80ES (i think thats the model), but the only reason to do so IMO would be the 5-year warranty on the ES models. www.crutchfield.com to look at the model, and www.oade.com to buy. they will give you the best prices and service on Sony ES.
    good luck!

7. Lee Valeria

Lee Valeria Guest

hey thanks guys.

ive already looked into the denon before, i did a search on audioreview.com, where people who have the equipment say what they think about it, and a lot of the people who had the denon say that it worked great and then after a while the thing dies and you have to get it fixed. i want something that i can buy and not have to worry about for a very long time.

and i've never heard of AMC. what's the price range on them? what models should i look into??

thanks

8. Ka Yuen

Ka Yuen Agent

audioadvisor.com sells it for $199. You can get it cheaper at yahoo shopping. See audioreview for reviews.