What's new

best cd player for my system (1 Viewer)

lnguyen

Auditioning
Hello, Second time post here, so want to say hi to all. Recently, I just equiped myself with Onkyo txsr-601, Athena speakers, AS-f2, As-c1, As-r1. As you see I don't have very upper equipment but I am happy with what I have, except, I don't have a cd player. I am using Toshiba SD-3950 right now for both dvd and cd player. I am not quite satisfy with the music coming from this dvd player and want to get a dedicated cd player. What is the best cd player for me as not an audiophile, just love music. I want something that is not overkill for my system. I check around and so many outhere with a lot of feature, Nad, yamaha, sony.... Give me some advice please. Thanks.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
The NAD C541i at www.saturdayaudio.com is a great value at $299. Original list price was $499. It has the added bonus of HDCD decoding. Don't know what you're looking to spend though, but I have this one and it sounds great and very well reviewed. Plus it won't break the bank and has very good resale value should you decide to sell it.

MarkusP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
The Nad C521bee is a great player as well that would match up with your audio needs quite nicely. The C541i is a better player for sure but if you are looking to save a bit of money and not give up much in the way of sound quality, the C521bee is a nice option.

lnguyen

Auditioning
Let say, If you have a high end receiver and speakers to appreciate the source of music, then you can buy a really good cd player. For me, my receiver and speakers as every one know are for good budget system. If I get a cheap cd player which wouldn't produce a goo sound, then not good, but if I get a high end cd player, then I don't think my system can have capacity to take the advantage of the good cd player. Am I right or wrong? and that is what I mean overkill.

So far, Nad cd players have been reccommended. Thank You, anyone else?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Inguyen- Thats what some say however, A better player has the potential to sound better in any system regardless of price. I suggest you spend at the top of your budget for a player. This is very subjective but, Compare players in the approximate same price catagory. The CDP is the one component in your system that you will be listening to on a daily basis thus the best that you can afford should not be considered a frivilous expenditure. Don't cheap out on this buy, cheap out on your next DVDP if you must.

JasonLaz

Agent
One thing I would like to mention is that you need to keep in mind that the CD player is one of the most important areas that you DO NOT want to skimp on if audio is important to you. A crappy CD player will lose high and low frequency response and color the sound which you can never recover once it is gone even with high end receiver, amp, speakers. Gone is just gone so keep this in mind if you are looking at having a good audio setup.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If you have any electronics knowhow, the Toshiba 3950 is widely regarded at AudioAsylum to be a very VERY good sounding redbook CD player after replacing some capacitors in the analog audio path. As good as CD players costing multiples of its price.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
You might try the new Sony CD/SACD 5-disc player that's only $150. SCD-CE595 or somethin' close to that. That would give you both formats and the possibility of M/C too.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Even though I recommended it and own one, I would not classify the NAD's mentioned (at less than $300 mind you) as high end, rather very good mid-fi.

lnguyen

Auditioning
Thank You all. Hi NickSo, can you tell me more about modifying SD3950?

NAD now has C542, is it alot better than C541 to be more expensive?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I agree with Rachael, although I'm a fan of single-tray systems.

Why not utilize the separate hook ups available on your TX-SR601 and open the world of hi-rez audio?

For a 5 disc changer:

Sony SCD-CE595

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pro...C595-f_MT.jpeg

Single tray :

Marantz CD5000

Marantz CD5000

I have an Onkyo receiver similar to yours, the Marantz is a great deal as is the Sony.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My recomendation is Denon or Yamaha they both make cd players in your price range. I still use an older dual 20 bit Denon Cd player along with my Sony 9000 ES DVD/CD/SACD player. I might upgrade to a multi channel SACD player one day and retire the Denon to my bedroom system, that is if there is a Sony ES model available, cant stand standard Sony.

lnguyen

Auditioning
Halleluja, I just ordered a Nad 541i from Saturday Audio. I will probably receive it tomorrow. Unfortunately, I live in IL and have to pay tax for Uncle Sam. I am excited. Thanks to all for advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks