What's new

Best CD player for <$400? (1 Viewer)

Ray_C

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

I'm looking to get a dedicated CD player (CD-only...no SACD or DVD-A), single-disc, for under $400. Depending on its own DAC's, I'll either be using the analogs out, or use the player as a transport via digi-out and use the DAC's on my Denon AVR2803. mI was looking to get a NAD, but have read of some issues with quality control. Anyone else have some good insight? Thanks in advance.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
My NAD 541i's display died on me after 45 days or so. This player only had about 60 hrs on it. Very dissapointed. Hopefully it wasn't due to quality control issues and just bad luck. Other wise, this cd player is great for it's price.

Bought it on Nov 16th and broke Dec 28th. Still haven't gotten it back yet. Almost 4 weeks now.

Ray_C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at some Music Hall models, as well as the Cambridge Audio models at Audioadvisor.com. I'd really rather have a dedicated CD-player, rather than using my DVD player all the time (Denon DVD1600). But I'd be looking to get something a bit more upscale than your typical cheap player available at large stores.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
One player that I found to be really nice for the money, even though it has been out of production, is the Sony CDP-XA20ES. Can be found for $350 used, if you look around. Also, take a look at some of the modded players that have tube output stages, like the Ah! Tjoeb or Heart models, which are built on the Marantz platform and modded. Might be alittle out of your price range, but these units are really nice sounding. The Adcom 750 is a nice units whose price has really gone down the in past year, since it is CD only unit. But some of the newer Nad, Cambridge, Shanling and Music Hall models are nice if you are looking to buy new. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks