What's new

Best CD Player for $1000US? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scott, thanks for the info. Your comment about the "Cary sound" is interesting. As far as I know, Cary had never made a player at the price point of the '308 before, and when I first heard about the '308, I wondered how it would fair in comparison to Cary players that folks were used to. As I said, a Cary proponent on Audio Asylum claimed after a detailed side-by-side comparison that the '308 came very close to his '306/200. Of course, that's just one opinion.

Given the higher price of the '308T and your comments about the '308T versus the '308, I wonder how the '308T would compare to the '303/200 and '306/200. On the one hand, the '308T uses tubes, but the other two players are more expensive. That would be an interesting comparison. Did you ever audition the '303/200 and/or '306/200?

One more thing. As I recall, both the '308 and '308T upsample to 24/96. Please confirm this. If they do upsample, can you shut it off (i.e., play at 16/44.1)? If so, how do you like the sound of upsampling versus 16/44.1 on the '308T?

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Keith,

Take a look on www.positive-feedback.com -- there's a review there that was very positive. I can't remember if the reviewer compared the 308T to its higher-priced cousins, but he ended up buying the review unit. And yes, the 308/308T both feature user-selectable upsampling.

Kevin,

Have you considered getting your Pioneer player modified? I know that Pioneers are a favorite modification platform at Modwright--both for standalonne players and as transports. Take a look at www.modwright.com for more info.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Kevin, may i make a completely different suggestion?

If you have a friend with a high-end cd player, or you can borrow one to try with your system...Set up a double blind, or if you cant a single blind listening test between the denon and the high end one, try them both with analog and digital outs.

See if you can tell the difference, try the test 20-30 times if you can. If you can honestly tell the difference 70% or more of the times, and you like one over the other, then consider it, but if you can't don't waste the money.

Even if you can, you should consider what would add more value, saving that $1k and maybe saving up a couple of months another $500 and trading in your 805's for 804's which will definitely hear a difference from your 805's or by upgrading your cd player.

I just don't see spending 1k on a cd player when your fronts only cost 2k (im not knocking your fronts, btw).

A lot of people will disagree with me, and I don't want to start a war over whether people can hear the difference or not. I am just saying, making that decision for yourself.

Rich

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eujin, thanks for the link. I haven't check out Positive Feedback's site in a long time. I'll check it out. Thanks also for the upsampling information.

Kevin Biller

Agent
Rich,

Interesting suggestion. I will see if I can round one up. I possibly borrow one from a local audio dealer. My friends are generally not into audio, and have nothing to borrow except brands like Technics and Teac.

As far as the 805 vs. 804, I have actively compared both. I did note the slightly deaper extension of the 804, however the bass from the 805 was very controlled and tight and in most music I listen there was not a lot of diff. I am not into deep organ music so I feel I am not missing much. I will be using a sub to fill in the bottom end anyways. Also I preferred the imaging characteristics of the 805's over the 804's. For me at least, it is not worth the $ difference unless I was prepared to go up the 803's or 802's.

Scott_N

Second Unit
Keith I have not heard the 306 or the 303. I do prefer the upsampling sound over regular 16/44.1. I think the highs are a little smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks