Best CD Player Advice

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tyson Burchak, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Tyson Burchak

I'm looking for some help deciding what type of cd-player to buy. There's too many floating around in the digital universe, and I don't have the time to research them all so I'm putting my faith in you. I want the best single disc player in the $500 range. HDCD, SACD, etc. aren't deal breakers since I refuse to spend $20 on a cd. I'm currently playing my cd's through a Sony DVP-S7000 DVD player. Would I even notice any difference with a stand alone cd-player? My system consists of:

B&K AVR 202 Receiver
    Bettercables Cable
    QED silver anniversary speaker wire
    M&K 750/550 THX Speaker Setup

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Tyson Burchak

I'm ammending the price range. $500-$750 is what I'm looking at.

3. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

My vote is to stay pat.

I have an S7000 that I was forced to downgrade to in order to afford a turntable. I thought I was going to regret leaving myself in this situation, but the S7000 is really performing quite well. And I am thankfully left with no urge to upgrade my digital playback anytime soon.

I think you would be pressed to find anything in this dollar range that will do much more for you. Maybe if you threw in used items, you could get a performance upgrade.

Just for your knowledge there are also mods for the S7000 player that can improve its performance, and you could alos add on one of the nicve cheap DAcs floating around these days. Surf audiocircles.com as there are quite a few folks there who are doing this option.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

5. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Since you're interested in a single-disc player, I recommend any Rotel CD player. Whether changer or single disc, Rotel makes superb CD players in the $500 to $750 range. They also do HDCD. The latest Rotel single-disc is the RC-1072. Dealers are closing out its predecessor, the RC-1070. There may still be brand new 1070s floating around for quite a discount.
    I just went from a good Marantz 5-disc changer to the Sony 222ES SACD changer. So far, I like what I hear. You can still find them new in the box (as I did) in the $300-400 range.

6. Tyson Burchak

What are some of the better DAC's?