What's new

Best CD or DVD mega changer, interface wise (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I am thinking about getting a new CD player, but also about a new DVD player, so I thought maybe I would get one of those mega changers that can catalog and group disks, has on screen text and information... maybe even customizable or editable, etc. What company makes a decent middle of the pack (for this type of item) mega changer. I know some of them used to have a keyboard port so you wouldnt have to make lables using the remote or jog dail. Does anyone have experience or own one of these.
I also have a pronto, so I am interested in using it to select disks by name or group if possible. I know sony and pioneer have always had these, but now I have seen marantz and onkyo (and maybe denon) release them. I guess, can someone point me in the right direction, like what features are available/important, and anyone who owns one tell me why they like or dislike it.
Also, what about scrapping this whole idea and getting a nice DVD-A player?
------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover
[Edited last by Charles J P on August 28, 2001 at 03:49 PM]

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Charles
I one day realized that I was up to my armpits in CD jewel boxes and DVD cases. Living in San Francisco, where space is at a premuim (last count $900 a square ft!), I needed a solution. Mega Changers was the solution and yes they cut down on the storage problem. I have 2 sony 200's cds & a 300DVD which I also keep cds in.
Very labor intensive typing most of the titles in, even with a keyboard. Very few titles come loaded - more on DVD
CDs are a great value and sony has it down
I got the DVD player for a great price;if I didn't I would have waited.has some annoying features (turning it on will automatically start up a disk, turning off the power button can cause the changer to hide a disk) but I like the no hands on disk and I can go the whole week without ever changing disks etc.
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

I have Pioneer 300 cd changer.
It's to hard to type all CD with jog dail. Keyborad better< but still has limitations. It can be erased.
look for CD (DVD) changer wich can read CD-TEXT.
What I do is ripping CD to hardrive and burn new CD with CD-Text. I put CD-Text on CD Title and song title.
The blank CD is almost free and this way even faster then typing on CD chagers itself. And data never lost when unit is off for a long time.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
I know you said "medium priced", but you can't beat the Kenwood Sovereign DVD Mega Changers now. Full Genre, Title, Artist, Track Information On-Screen downloaded from the 'net.
Picture on the Sovereign players with the Sage/Faroudgja chips is phenomenal. They also play every other format - CD, CD-R, RW, MP3, etc.
The high end one plays DVD-Audio.
3 disk Rental Zone with separate transport controls.
The list of features is like a "wish list".
Worth a look at www.kenwoodusa.com
... Greg
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks