Best Cables to Use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Szromba, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Michael Szromba

Michael Szromba Auditioning

Feb 20, 2001
    Can anyone make any comparisons between DIY cables / cables from KustomKable or bettercables / premade cables such as Cardas & Kimber.
    Looking for sonic comparisons for interconnects & speaker cable to be used in my mainly Proceed system.
    Just putting this system back together with a few new components. I've gathered a few of the el cheapo interconnects just to get some of the gear working & an old set of Monster Cable speaker wires.
    My Speakers:
    L & R Mains: Magnapan 1.6's
    Center: Magnapan MGCC1
    Rears: Magnapan MG-1 Improved's
    My system:
    Amps - Proceed Amp-5
    Preamp - Proceed AVP
    DVD - Proceed PMDT
    Laser Disc - Pioneer CLD-M90
    VCR - Sony SLV-R1000
    Turntable - Ariston RD11s w/Dynaco PAS 3 Preamp
    Tuner - Yamaha CT-800
    TV - RCA 32" (soon to be upgraded)
    Digital Cable
    Panamax 1500 line conditioner
  2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Oct 1, 2000
    Michael, I have the PMDT, AVP, HPA3 up front and BPA2 in the rear. Using Thield 7.2s as the mains. I am very familiar with the Maggies too - the local dealer carries them and I have set-up several systems with them helping out from time to time. With the exception of my speaker wire which is made by a local co. and my Transparent reference digital cable from the transport to the preamp, everything else is DIY. I have heard that Better Cables is good for the money. I have heard Transparent (speaker wire) products with you set-up and they sound good. Obviously DIY can be cheaper. If you are looking for something that is good quality look at the other posts (do a search of 89259 (Belden). For an all purpose digital, analog cable is not not bad. Vampire wire 5x connectors work well with it ($16.50/pair I think -