What's new

Best cables for full-range speaker interconect... (1 Viewer)

John Doran

Screenwriter
If I want to connect my full-range signal inputs on the back of my front speakers (Def-Techs), to the pre-outs from on receiver, what would be the best cables to use - analog audio interconnects or coax?

I was looking, for instance, on the BetterCables.com site, and was unsure as to whether the Silver Serpent audio interconnect would be better-suited than their Silver Serpent Digital Coax...

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but the finer features of cabling/interconnect science continue to elude me.

PomingF

Second Unit
John, it will help if you also tell us what model speakers & receiver you are talking about. Most speakers (except active design with built-in full range amps) takes speaker level signals from amplifier outputs Def Tech included. There is a line level input on some Def Tech models with built-in powered SW's for one to hook up to the LFE (low frequency effect) line (preamp) level output of 5.1 receivers or preamps. Even so you still need to make the speaker level connection from the receiver's amp outputs to the speakers' main terminals.

For speaker level connection, 16 to 12 gauge paired oxygen free copper wires are usually good enough while some may want to terminate the wires with connectors (pins, spades or banana plugs) for security/convenience. For line (preamp) level connections you will need paired cables with RCA (or XLR for balanced which is not commonly found on receivers) connectors at each end.

Btw, don't get confused by the cable terminalogies for both audio analog and digital/video coaxial cables use the same RCA type of connectors.

Hope it helps.

PF

John Doran

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply...

I have the speaker-level connections made ok (bi-wired high and mid), and was wondering what sort of cable would yield the best results for any line-level connection, be it to the lfe or full-range inputs on the speakers (def tech bp 2000tls).

Can I use coax (with RCA connectors) for this, instead of what I can only think to call "basic audio interconnect" cabling, and will it yield worse/same/better results?

The question seems so much simpler than this in my head....

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
John: you want to use a shielded coaxial cable, otherwise known as an audio interconnect cable, to send the LFE signal to those towers.

The coaxial cable puts the signal on a center wire that is encased in a pipe called the "shield" to protect the fairly weak line-level signals.

It's more important for you to use coax because you will be running 2 runs of 12 ga speaker wire in parallel with the cable. And those speaker wires will carry watts of power, enough to drive a motor.

You also need to tell your receiver that your L/R speakers are "SMALL", and that you have a subwoofer.

If you leave your speakers defined as LARGE, it will try and send subwoofer signals out the speaker wires which are only connected to your mid-range and tweeters. They will "ignore" these signals, but your receiver will use up power trying to send them.

I have seen some subwoofer cables that come out and split in a "Y" shape to branch to the L/R speakers. Very cool, but I'd suggest you go buy a nice "Y" adaptor and use this to split the LFE signal.

Good speakers by the way. I love mine.

John Doran

Screenwriter
Bob,

I realize that this is perhaps straying from the subject of interconnects, but...

I had never actually considered setting my towers as "small" while running the LFE - the way I had done it was to bi-wire the mid and high, but put the jumper between the mid and low, and then leave the speaker set as "large" with the LFE (which is at least one of the configurations described in the owner's manual...)

Now that you mention it, I'll give your way a shot and see what I see.

And I absolutely love my 2000's, too.

Later,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks