What's new

Best cable for sub line level on new prewire? (1 Viewer)

Scott Sheridan

Auditioning
Prewireing for a new system and want to pull 3 different sub locations. I usually use the LFE out and I am wondering what shielded cable would be best to use for line level feeds. Typical runs will be from 20 to 35 feet on this job, so buying pre assembled, run of the mill RCA cables is out. Ive read rg-6 can be used but is this the best way to go? If not where can I get a large spool of the right, shielded cable, like 250 - 500 feet.

Thanks,

scott

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Basically you just want 75ohm coax. I'd get it by contacting an electrical contractor supply place. You'll also need connectors and the correct tool.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Scott.

LFE signals are trivial for nearly any coax cable. Standard CATV RG59 or RG6 work great. And these have the advantage of being in-wall rated.

If you want to do your own, Chris White has a good web site and list places to buy coax.

Or you can get custom made cables like 30' for $45 from places like BlueJeansCables.com

One caution: the sub experts tend to advise that you DONT have multiple subwoofers in different locations. They usually suggest putting several subs on top of each other to avoid complex wave issues. While I am all in favor of extra wire - you may find you only use one.

Hope this helps.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Scott,
This site has some useful info on multi-subs and the advantage/disadvantage of multi-subs. Might want to check it out before you pick locations to run your wire.
Dave

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Thats a good idea. I ran one wire each to the center front, center rear & left front. I have a sub at the two center locations, but I had the option of the one in the corner in case the two subs didn't work out. Unfortunately you can't be sure until the theater is finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks