Best Buy's HD-DVD Marketing Support

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by AaronSCH, Jul 15, 2006.

1. AaronSCH

AaronSCH Second Unit

I was surprised as I looked through this Sunday's online circular (July 16th 2006) for Best Buy. In the DVD release section they devote a good portion of the page to Toshiba's HD-A1! The Best Buys in the Phoenix metro area just got in a number of players. You may want to check your local Best Buys if you can't wait for that online order to come through. Happy hunting. Keep buying that software... the non-players will want a piece of the action if they sense growing enthusiasm. Talk to the people on the floor in the electronics stores. They are eager to learn and will eat up personal experience over a manufacturer's marketing pablum, I mean literature. Foot soldiers and word-of-mouth are much more powerful than any number of commercials.

2. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Very good news, indeed.

3. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

Most of my co workers are pushing BluRay as the better system though. I think I am the only one that even thinks HD has a shot.

4. AaronSCH

AaronSCH Second Unit

Has a shot? Are your co-workers illiterate? I assume you work for Best Buy… Everything in print seems to say otherwise.

5. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

Yes I am a part timer in Magnolia Home Theater in addition to my day job...

And I agree with you. They are all obsessed with the PS3 :)

6. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Local Best Buy had one Toshiba in stock Saturday and the demo was connected to a Sony 40 inch LCD panel. Meanwhile, the Samsung player was connected to a 61 inch DLP Samsung 1080p display. New model????

The Toshiba (both models) have been shown as in stock at One Call for several weeks now. It appears that they are now more easily available. Best Buy and Amazon are showing the Samsung as SOLD OUT and AVAILABLE SOON on their respective sites.

Local Best Buy seems to be giving good support to both HD and Blu-ray.

7. Oliver D

Oliver D Extra

I've seen very poor support for both HD and Blu-Ray although HD was almost non-existent. At both BBs near here, the Toshiba was not even hooked up. It was relegated literally to the furthest corner of the store. However, they must be selling them because I picked up the last one and it had the 1.4 firmware, so it wasn't sitting around for a long time. One Best Buy had HD-DVD software near new releases (next to Blu-Ray), the other had it next o the player in the back of the store.

The Blu-Ray players were set up to TVs but the demo didn't seem impressive. Then again, I've never seen an impressive demo in a big box store.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The local Best Buy so far as I know has never had a Blu-Ray demo set up. They did have a very nice one for HD-DVD as recently as a week ago but now that's gone too. There is a big display for the HD-DVD discs (with a smattering of Blu-Ray discs tucked into the corners).