What's new

Best Buy's "Coming Attractions" DVD: Lots O' Great Coupons! (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
My apologies if this has been discussed here already, but I couldn't find any talk of it here and it's a fairly new disc, I believe.

I have a buddy who works at Best Buy who finally convinced me to take a copy of BB's new "Coming Attractions Vol. 1" DVD. You get one free with any DVD purchase. I didn't want it until he told me there were coupons inside. And there is, indeed, a booklet full of coupons for movies, video games and CDs.

I highly recommend picking this up if you have the opportunity. Here are the DVD coupons inside (most of which are each only good for one week periods during the months of Nov. and Dec.):

-10% Off any Action DVD
-10% Off any Comedy DVD
-10% Off any Drama DVD
-10% Off any Television DVD
-10% Off any DVD Collector's Set
-10% Off any Disney DVD
-10% Off any Family DVD
-10% Off any Sci-Fi/Horror DVD
-$5 Off any Redline Entertainment DVD
-$5 Off The Next Invasion
-$10 Off 411VM Best of Boards Box Set

Also contains a lot of "$3 Off" coupons for major video game titles coming soon and a few new CD titles for $9.99 each. Haven't actually gotten around to watching the DVD yet, which supposedly contains about 2 hours of product previews.

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
Most of the DVD coupons are good for a specific week in November or December. At first I was a bit underwhelmed because I thought I had read that they were only good on "regularly priced" DVD's, like a lot of their other coupons. But it doesn't say that, exactly -- just that they are not good in conjuction with any other coupon or offer. Remains to be seen if they can be used with the weekly loss leaders.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Surely Best Buy is stupid enough to think that they can/will deny the coupon, 10% off any Disney DVD - Week of Nov. 2, this next week when the largest grossing animated Disney (PIXAR!) film of all time is released. Either way, it will be the high water test.

Their weekly ad doesn't mention the magical words 'on sale', either.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
David, there don't seem to be many restrictions with these coupons. The Disney coupon is good from 11/2 to 11/8 (which plants it squarely in the release week for "Finding Nemo"). Here's the exact wording on the coupon:

FRONT:
10% Off Any Disney DVD
See back for Details

BACK:
Limit 1 coupon per customer. Coupons only valid at Best Buy retail stores in USA. Not good in combination with any other coupons or offers. Not valid on prior purchases. Selection varies by store. Valid on in-stock items only; no rainchecks. No dealers. Coupon must be presented at time of purchase. No copies. Cash value is 1/100th of one cent.

---

So the question is... does the word "offers" include sale prices? It had better not, as this is misleading.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's been my experience that the fine print on these coupons can be defined in any of a hundred different ways depending on what idio..., er, employees are working at any given time.

Best Buy corporate apparently provides zero guidance as to how their own coupons are meant to be honored, or even that the coupons are being circulated as demonstrated by the general blank stare encountered *EVERY TIME* I present a BB-issued coupon at BB. :angry:

Some will likely say that the phrase "offer" includes the weekly sale prices, others will not. Some will say that you can't combine these coupons with others such as the Reward Zone certificates or McDonald's BB Bucks, others will ring everything through without question and might give you an extra $2 off just for the hell of it.
Using coupons at BB is always an adventure in the unknown because there is zero consistency from store to store, or even employee to employee. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Circuit City would honor BB coupons as a price match?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Circuit City would honor BB coupons as a price match?
Doubt it, Malcolm. That's another whole kettle of fish. It takes past difficulties to another level.

It always seems very few establishments will ever honor a competitor's coupons because it puts their own pricing scheme at great risk.

I agree wholeheartedly on the Disney DVD Coupon/Finding Nemo situation, though. They definitely should take it. I suspect most blue shirts will. Except for the one you walk up to. :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Probably not. A trip to the CC website seems to confirm that they'll price match advertised prices, but not other types of "special offers." Blockbuster was doing this for awhile, but I never tested it to see if they just meant coupons from other video rental stores or if they'd honor sale coupons from BB or others on new DVD sales.

Perhaps I should just introduce myself as "Mike Frezon" when I walk up to the BB checkout and see where that gets me. :D

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
All I know is that the TV DVD coupon is good during the week (11/18) that sees the release of The West Wing, The King of Queens, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Mystery Science Theater 3000 Vol. 4, and the Monkees season 2, etc. etc.

I'll probably save about $5 on The West Wing with the coupon plus I've got a Reward Zone $5 coming in the mail. That's going to make this even cheaper than Amazon's price for me. In the meantime, I'm going to try to get my hands on a few more of those coupon books...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I should just introduce myself as "Mike Frezon" when I walk up to the BB checkout and see where that gets me.
If you're in the market for a good, swift kick in the ass I'd highly recommend it!

I hear mentioning "David Lambert" really goes a long way, too! :D

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
West Wing: The Complete First Season comes out on 11/18 and the coupon for the week 11/16--11/22 is for "any Telivision DVD."

PienSavaca

Stunt Coordinator
"any Television DVD." ????

Odd, all my DVD are viewed on my television. :D

I've been picking one of these coming attractions discs with every purchase, as it is a source for a free amaray case.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Anybody having problems getting a hold of these? I was somewhat hassled at our BB in Milpitas. The story goes something like this:

I go in and ask if they have any of the free preview DVDs left as I didn't get one last week when I picked up Indiana Jones. I told the employee that I didn't see any out last week nor were they apparent today. She said that there is a glitch which zeroes out the entire purchase so they were in the back sitting in boxes. I said that I bought IJ last week and that it shouldn't be a problem since all I wanted was the preview disk. I wasn't planning on buying anything today (next week yes) so it shouldn't affect anything. She said no then I said can I talk with a manager. She huffed off to talk with a guy at the service desk (luckily, I asked him first about the disk and he forwarded me to media) and it looked like she was told to get one. She appeared about 30 seconds later and handed me the disk and huffed off again.

So I got the disk with a few minutes of interesting discussion, but has anyone else run into this problem? The Almaden store had them laying about last Friday but I didn't find out about the coupon book until earlier this week.

Anyhow, I'm planning to use the Disney coupon on Nemo and CD wallet bonus along with some McDonalds $1 tabs.

Bob

Galen_V

Second Unit
At the Best Buy in NYC (86th and Lex) they were practically handing them out like they were going out of fashion. I guess it really depends where you live.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
After Mike's comment I wasn't even gonna participate in this thread! :D

But I had to respond to Bob-N's questions and point out that I have 5 of those things, all of them rung through the register. No glitches, ever.

Someone smells full of doo-doo, and I think they're wearing a blue shirt. :laugh:

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know when Volume 2 will be coming out? I really like watching the trailers on that disc...

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Here's an "amusing" thing about one of the music coupons in the BB "CA v1"DVD--it's for the Sheryl Crow "Best of..." CD that's coming out this Tuesday, allowing you the "priviledge" of buying it for $9.99 anytime before the end of the year. Might be worth something only for those people who don't buy new releases during new-release week, because the CD is advertised as being on sale this week at BB for...$9.99.;)

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
i wonder if BB will PM CC on Nemo and take the %10 percent off coupon on the coming attraction dvd also..prob not but may be wortht he try since they are pretty close to each near me

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
The 10% off coupon worked with Nemo for me, I used the only Mcdonalds Dollar I have had as well. The total was around $14.50 w/tax. :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Worked for me too. The sci-fi/horror coupon is good for this week as well.

There was a coupon for Best of No Doubt at $9.99 (supposedly released 11/4) but they had no copies. Did this get delayed?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks