What's new

Best Buy's bonus ST Nemesis disk: how do you get it to work? (1 Viewer)

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Sorry to steal bandwidth for this, but I've tried the Best Buy "Free Nemesis CD Rom" (that comes attached on the back of the new ST Nemesis DVDs) on my Dell Cd and DVD drives at home, and my Gateway dual drive at work (both desktop machines), and I can't get it to 'seat' well in the drives. The explainer sheet says it works in 'tray' loading CD drives. If I don't have a tray loading drive, what is a tray loading drive?

And I do have some grooves in all my above mentioned drives for the smaller size disks, but this Nemesis one just won't seat itself there...

Thank you!!

Dan

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
You have tray drives. A tray drive has a tray that slides out to hold the disc, as opposed to a slot where you slide the disc in (most car cd players).

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Kyle, thanks for that, but I'm not sure that's good news !!?? That means, to quote Mandrake in Dr. Strangelove: "Well I would say, sir, that there was something dreadfully wrong somewhere."

Is it my technique, or is the disk wierd? And the disk is a weird, not round shaped, disk. Though on the under side, there are grooves which are supposed to fit the inner, smaller parts of the tray drive for mini-disks. But the odd shape means that the disk just slides out of place when inserted...

Anyone got this thing to work?

Dan

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
And the disk is a weird, not round shaped, disk.
That's why they say that it will only work in tray-type drives. It's a non-standard disc. Companies make them for the "cool" factor, even though they know better.

The only CDs/DVDs that are standard are the big round ones and the small round ones. Put anything else in a slot-load drive and you risk losing the disc and damaging the drive. (Even a standard mini-CD may pose a problem for a slot-load drive, although some slot-loaders can handle them.)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Dan, I can't speak for the ST disc, but I've used that style of disc in my drive before. Someone gave me a virtual business card, and we sell some games at work on the discs. They look like a mini-cd with the top and bottom cut off. I haven't had a problem playing them on my PC. You may have a faulty disc. Is it a cd or dvd?

Andrew D F

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

It worked for me, although it took a couple of tries. I had to slide it around in the tray until it "clicked" into place, after which it loaded up fine.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Fit the raised circle edge into the CD Rom Tray, ... slide it around a-little (as mentioned by Andrew above), ... matching the small circle (indent) pattern and that will register & align it in the right CD Tray location. I point the Romulan Bird's Tail Forward - toward the front of the tray.

My CD-R/W drive didn't read it, but my regular 50x CD Player did.

For those interested, here's what the CD Rom Navigation Menu looks like, ... Click HERE.

NOTE: The Movie Trailer (15 Mb) is included on the CD Rom.

Hope this helps,
Phil

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Thanks Phil and Andrew and everyone,

I stole home during lunch today and took the disk to work and tried sliding it in at different angles (ahem) and after several tries it worked!

So, Andrew gets credit for the try, try, try again advice, and I don't know if Phil's advice worked, since I tried on a more random pattern (having not seen the post til now). But I hope Phil's advice helps others. There were a number of times I shoved it in and it ground around (ahem) and seemed to risk getting stuck... but then it worked!

I just wish they would have placed functionality above making a disk that look liked a warbird.

And what do warbirds do? destroy!

Thanks to you all for helping,

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks