1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Buy - worst luck.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alex-C, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

From the local headlines....

Tim Bennett recently walked into a (local) Best Buy to buy a laptop computer.

"I wanted to utilize their 18-month, interest-free offer they had, which required me to apply for a Best Buy card," Bennett said.

To get no-interest financing, Bennett had to turn over another one his credit cards and a driver's license for verification. What he didn't know was that a 17-year-old Best Buy employee was making copies of all the information, according to authorities.

"It was a pretty sophisticated plan it sounds like," said Sacramento County Sheriff's Department spokesman Sgt. Lou Fatur.

Within hours of Bennett applying for the credit card, Sacramento sheriff's investigators the 17-year-old was using Bennett's other credit card number to make illegal purchases of Best Buy equipment for three of his colleagues, according to authorities

Nice....

2. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I ty to avoid BB and CC like the plauge because I loathe their customer service.

Now I have another reason to loathe them.

Does the article say which store this was? Im in the Sacramento area so my curiosity is peaked.

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

This practice, unfortunately, happens more than we think. Most of the time you can see the employee handle your credit card but how about in restaurants? How many times have you handed your card to the server who promptly disappeared for five minutes? All that time, they could be writing down the numbers, expiration date, and "security code" off the back.

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Don't paint Best Buy with such a broad brush. This sort of thing happens everywhere. I once had my card number lifted when I paid for gas at the pump. The cashier never saw me or my card, but he was able to see my card number on the transaction reports. The group he was involved with made duplicate credit cards using the lifted numbers and by the next day had maxed out my credit limit. I don't think because of that I should start a thread titled "BP Amoco Sucks" or something similar.

5. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Leila, some restaurant servers have actualy carried a palm pilot with a card reader and copied every card mag stripe they used during a shift, then sold the info or used it themselves to make fake cards.

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Lee, unfortunately I believe it. I know this practice can happen anywhere, and does, so as long as these criminals are being appropriately punished I'm not going to necessarily hold it against the employers.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor