Best buy tvs?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jachin, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Jachin

Jachin Auditioning

I know they can sell some pretty cheap stuff and all of that, but i was there earlier today and i saw a nicer toshiba tv there that seemed to have a better picture and a better viewing angle than all of the rest. Is it still worth getting for an entry level HDTV or should i forget about it. Also, can i still get high deffinition broadcasting on digital cable? would i need a certain cable box? thanx

2. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

It depends. Are you happy with the set? Does it meet your needs for an entry level set?
    Does it have DVI/HDCP connections?
    You would need a box capable of displaying an HD signal.
    Your cable company can explain their particular box to you, along with it's capabilities.
    Vb

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

My family swears by Toshiba HDTV's (4 sold to my family and counting, no problems yet). In addition to what SimiA said, your local cable company would first have to offer HDTV content (call them or visit their website for info) and then they would have to install a new HDTV box. I have Comcast cable and love it. All local networks, ESPN, Discovery, PBS, INHD and Red Sox and Bruins home games in HDTV, all for an extra $2 a month.

4. ChrisRuh

ChrisRuh Stunt Coordinator

This may be off the topic and better suited for another forum, but what do you do if your local cable company NEVER plans to add HDTV? I live in the middle of nowhere Minnesota, and we really need cable for local events (mainly tornado warnings) so I can't go to satellite (and broadcast TV is too far away for a decent signal).

/don't mean to threadjack

5. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

oops nevermind

Paul

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If I'm not mistaken? All cable companies will have to carry HDTV so it's just a matter of time before your local cable company will offer it but I would check with them on their time line for when they plan on adding it.

7. ChrisRuh

ChrisRuh Stunt Coordinator

Well that's the thing. I have contacted my local company both by phone and email and have been told

"We have no plans to update our cable to HDTV anytime in the future." We're talking about a little rinky-dink cable outfit here. I get 40 channels and that's considered a lot for their company.

I thought they were required to convert HDTV signals by law at sometime in the future. Am I wrong on this?

Should I take this over to the A/V Sources forum?

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Nope, the only mandate is for OTA (over the air) broadcast stations to give up their current broadcast spectrum and move to the HD spectrum and even this may not happen by the 2006 deadline. They do not even have to broadcast in HD, they can have several SD channels in the HD spectrum instead. There is no mandate for cable or satellite to move to HD, although the big cable companies are moving to compete with HD satellite and to stay on the cutting edge.

9. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

Time Warner Cable actually has HDTV for free. You just trade in your old box and they give you an HDTV tuner in a new cable box. I still can't believe it.

10. Doug Z

Doug Z Stunt Coordinator

If you can hold out for a little longer until HD becomes closer to the deadline I believe there is going to be some serious price wars. I absolutely love my 32" Tosh and will probably never part with it, just keep finding places to put it. The picture has been exceptional since day 1 and I believe it rivals some XBR's, just get the super-black tube and you will be happy. While Sony does have the edge I believe the price of the Toshiba will sell itself and for only very small or no difference in picture quality, I'm talking non HD here.