Best Buy trip

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JeffTodd, May 14, 2003.

1. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

The wife and I walked into Best Buy looking to pick up an MP3 player tonight. Well, as always I had to go to the speaker section to see what new stuff they had. In addition to the Klipsch and Athena setups they had a lot of merchandise that they were trying to clearance out.

I spotted some JBL S38s that I started checking out....a terminal cup was busted, and there was a slick nick on the grey plastic. There were no poked drivers or anything that might affect the sound quality. I asked the guy (once I tracked him down) how much they were. He went back and asked his sales manager and came back with a price of $150. I about fell over and immediately asked, "Is that for each?" No...that was for the pair. I figured a new terminal cup from JBL can't be that much. I asked him to hook them up just to make sure they weren't DOA. They rocked to say the least. I was sold and told him that I would take them.

My wife on the other hand was sitting there with that look on her face. I asked her what was the matter and she said, "Why are you getting another pair of something you already have?" (I currently have S26 as my mains) I told her that these were a little better at a killer price. She said that we should get those big ones over there (meaning the S312 that were on clearance for $400 each). Gotta love her....she not only didn't mind getting more speakers, but she wanted big ass towers to boot!

While I was there I checked out the Athenas. They sounded damn good! Of course, the Athenas were set up right in the Sony area....so doing A/B with Sony and Athena really made a big impact! The Sony speakers sounded like tin cans...and they had no highs....and they were muddy as well.

What a great trip this was! I just had to share with everyone here.

2. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

My local BB had the Klipsch today, but no Athenas. Once I hear both, I'll be probably picking up some new towers, at least. It's nice to see something resembling a real speaker at Best Buy for a change!

Matt

3. Jim_P

Jim_P Stunt Coordinator

Jeff

So are you taking your wife over to the plasma screens?? lol

We are very lucky that our significant others have the same afliction towards these toys as we do.

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

If anybody's in the DC area, check out the Springfield, VA Best Buy. It's been completely remodeled and they have a new room with all the speakers and nicer touch screen displays to choose the speakers that actually work(but for how long). In addition to the new speaker display, they have a seperate section with 5 home theater setup. This section has a living room type setup with plasma tv's, leather couches, and coffee tables. It has a real high end store "feel" to it.

5. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I was at Buy Buy. They just got the Klipsch Synergy Series speakers in. Mine is selling all of them. I was very dissapointed at the price. They were full blown retail price. The same prices you would have found at the specialty retail stores. I was under the impression that they would be cheaper because of the massive buying power Best Buy has?

Chris

6. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

In my experience with Best Buy, there truly is no such thing as a 'best buy'. Everything is always at MSRP. The only thing I ever go there for anymore is an occasional DVD on sale. Wal-Mart usually has better prices on the DVDs though.

7. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

Did you actually get the S312's??? If so, WOW! Your wife is cool. I bought those same speakers when my girlfriend was out of town for a week. I figured, even if she was totally against them, at least I would have them for a week! Really just kidding around. She actually really likes them (got them in beech so she would at least think they were "pretty"). I hope you enjoy yours. They really do improve with age/use. MM

8. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

9. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

Forget the beech...Get what you want, when you want it.

10. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

I actually turned down getting the 312's in favor of the S38s for 150 bux. I couldn't see blowin 800 bux....it just wasn't in the budget. But down the line when we get a house there will definitely be some big towers in the room.

11. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

I agree Jeff, for the $1000 (or so) bucks that BB wants you can certainly get more speaker anyway. I actually bought my 312's direct from Harman (refurbs but you would never know it) for $450 for the pair shipped w/ full warranty. I can't find a mark on them and they sound killer so keep that in mind when you decide to buy towers. Congratulations on your deal on the S38's though. You can't beat those speakers for $150 bones! I still can't decide if I want the 38's or the 36's for my surrounds. I like having the bass available in the 38's but the 36's sound much more detailed. I'm thinking that the detail is probably a little more practical in a surround speaker. However, I do listen to quite a bit of DVD-A so the extra warmth may sound better there. I guess I'll have to break down and demo them both in my situation and see which I like better. That is ultimately the best way to do it anyway, IMO. MM