Best Buy & the "Amadeus" Factor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bleddyn Williams, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    I went to my local Best Buy today (Cambridgeside Galleria, Cambridge MA) to pick up 4 of the new Warner Bros double-disc sets. I wanted to get em all, but I'm not a rich man, so wanted to get $5 off two lots of two.

The Unforgiven/True Romance combo worked fine, but Singin' in the Rain/ Amadeus did not take $5 off. I pointed this out, and the staff reckoned you could only have one $5 deduction per transaction.

So we ended up making two sales of two films each. However, the Amadeus/ Singin' combo still didn't work. So out comes the store flier.

"Its says Amadeus in here - and this package only says Director's Cut - so its the old one on sale" says the girl.

I pointed out that that made no sense - the promotion was for the 5 new Warner reissues, and the new Amadeus was one of them. She looked sceptical, and had someone fetch the old version.

Sure enough - the discount came up when the old Amadeus was used. I told her I understood her argument, but that someone must have put the wrong Amadeus into the system, and that she was probably going to have this conversation again with other customers.

I switched Amadeus with Cuckoo's Nest and got the discount on those two instead.

Did anyone else have this problem? I've posted this story in this forum because people interested in buying these titles are more likely to see it here than the store forum.

Bleddyn

2. Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent Stunt Coordinator

yep- same problem. However, since I'm in best buy turning over a large portion of my paycheck every week, they took my word when I told them it was the right version of Amadeus. Still had to do a second transaction though, and the clerk had to enter the $5 discount manually. Pays to be a regular...

Jimmy

3. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

At the Best Buy in San Francisco (on Harrison) I had the same issue. I tried to get Amadeus and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with the $5 off and it didn't come up automatically. They had to manually change the price of each to $17.49.

-Lyle J.P.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I totally sidestepped this faux pas and just bought Amadeus and True Romance at the nearby (for me) Costco for effectively the same price @$17.49.

5. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

They had to do it manually for me as well.

6. Craig Yeingst

Craig Yeingst Auditioning

My Unforgiven/Amadeus combo had to be manually adjusted.

7. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

I had the same problem with Amadeus/Unforgiven at Best Buy. The clerk got completely flustered and there was no supervisor around (although there was a pack of about 5 blue shirts out in the parking lot having a smoke when I came in--he was probably in that group). I waited a few minutes for the supervisor, gave up, and headed to Costco.
    This sort of thing is a common problem at Best Buy. They barely train their clerks and then spread management so thin that no customer service challenge can get resolved without a long wait--even in a virtually empty store.
    (Although I still don't see why having the correct price should be that much of a challenge, eh? [​IMG] )

8. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Luckily I saw all the Warner titles for sale at Costco's for $17.49. I hate the confrontational approach to the market that Best Buy tends to take, though my local store tends to be so new to the neighborhood that they are not such 'hard-asses' yet. Non-the-less Costco will win every time for me if they are price neutral with BB since I get an additional 2% off on each transaction due to my Executive Membership level. It has more than paid for itself with the rebate coming to roughl twice the cost of the membership. They are also more customer service oriented with somewhat more 'mature' employees.

Joel

9. Tyler Ruggeri

Tyler Ruggeri Stunt Coordinator

Bleddyn, I went to the same Best Buy as you but encountered a different problem: Singin' in the Rain wasn't there at all. I was there around 6:30 p.m. and the other 4 Warner titles were on the new release wall but not Singin'. The sales staff told me it was either sold out or not available, and there were no copies in the general section as there were for the other titles. What time did you go? They couldn't have ordered that many copies if they sold out so fast.

Tyler Ruggeri

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I got Amadeus for me and Singin' for a friend today. It didn't ring up with the $5 so I told him to look in the ad. He manually adjusted it (thankfully, without a fight) and I got them for $17.49 each [​IMG]

11. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    Tyler, I was at Best Buy around noon. And you're dead right in your assumption that they didn't get many copies.
    There were no copies in the regular racks, and on the new release wall, where all the other titles had about 4-5 rows of 5 copies, Singin' had only one or two copies in each row. So at noon on the day of release, they only had about six copies out. [​IMG]
    Pretty poor! Hope you find one either at BB or Costco.
    Bleddyn

12. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Tyler, I experienced the same thing on Tuesday. They had the other 4 Warner titles in one area, but there was a whole empty column where Singin' should've been. An employee checked in the back, came back out, and told me that they're expecting their copies in on Thursday (today). They were not sold out; they just didn't get any copies in. This is the first time I've had any problems getting a new release from Best Buy on release day.

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

At the BestBuy in the Albany, NY area, I went to the register with Amadeus and Singing In The Rain and the salesclerk asked me is I was supposed to get $5 off. I said, "yes". And she said, "yeah, for some reason it hasn't been coming up today. I'll do it for you" And she manually subtracted the $5. Easy! [​IMG]

14. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    Friday was the Grand Opening of the brand new Best Buy in the Berkshire Mall of all places. I went in after work to get Singin/Amadeus. I asked the guy near the DVDs if the $5 would ring up at the register as there was no mention of it at the display. He checked. Looked like he didn't know which section of the flyer to look at, he started at the back. Then he read the fine print, took a closer look at the discs and said, "Yup, it should ring up at the register" I headed to the checkout thinking I would have no problem. The girl scans Singin 1st and it rings up $18.99. I was psyched. She scans Amadeus and it rings up $18.99 as well! Only problem, the $5 off doesn't ring in. So I mention to her that it says....in the flyer and she looks, checks the discs and calls somebody over. The girls looks at the discs and the flyer and then the clerk says, "They rang up $1 less than they were supposed to". So the second girl takes $3 off of one of the discs to make it up. I piped in with how the discs rang up $18.99 by themselves and I should get the extra $2 off. She compromises and gives me another buck. To top it all off, thjey made me put my name address and phone number in the book and had me sign it to get the deal. This on the first day of business. So then these manager types come over to see what's going on and I see on one of the name tags "Sales Rep since 2000" So I ask her, "Are you from Albany or Hoyoke?" They're from Amhearst, NY, near Buffalo. And they have no idea about the $5 off Warners!! What ifs up with this chain? Well at least now I don't have to travel 40 miles to the nearest BB.