Best Buy Stinks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I had that whole Band of Brothers Fiasco with them Holding Funds, Now I Had my order cancelled for the Lord of the Rings Extended because of Insufficient funds. The credit Card I use is a Debit card connected to my checking account. Monies raise and lower in this account to my pay cycle every two weeks. This was time to be ok with me getting paid early next week. THey tried to get approval again for an order that won't even ship till late next week. In addition I had a $10 digital Coupon on the order and now that's gone.

BB is the only Etailer I've had problems with ordering like this. They did the same thing with Band of Brothers trying to charge an approval for a second time a month after I placed the order.

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Here's an Update I Called Best Buy to ask them to reinstate my Digital Coupon for $10 that had beenlost when they cancelled my Oder of the Special Ed of LOTR's. I Spoke with a Shawn Thiesan who said he was the Highest level of Support (In other words I cannot speak to his supervisor) He would not reinstate the Coupon. I told him their policy of charging the Cards two weeks before they ship a product is causing this problem. I expect the funds to be in there before they Actually Ship the item. I Can reorder all I want is my coupon that I rightly earned reinstated. They said no. He also went on to say with Visa Cards they can only hold the funds for seven days legally so every sevendays after that they place a new hold on the cards. That's why your available funds never match your total. This completely messes up what you should have available to you in your account, especially if you only use this account to pay bills. Do not use BB for large ticket items like Box set etc you will be sorry. And expect if they cancel your order for any reason that you will not get back your coupon. I've ordered alot of discs from BB and that's the treatment I Get.

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I don't mean to sound mean or anything but your debit card is NOT like a credit card. Yeah they should give you your $10 coupon back, thats just slimey. But why should Best Buy be in error because you didn't carry enough money in your account to cover all costs? I've only ordered a few things from Best Buy online (band of brothers being the latest one) but I don't use my debit card for any online orders.

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

5. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I no longer shop with Best Buy.

First, they sent me a digital coupon good for exactly 5 whole days. I tried fighting it because I'm in California where no expiration dates should apply, but they simply blew me off.

Then, I made a purchase for a pre-order at a sale price but had to cancel my card (it was stolen). They wouldn't honor the sales price any longer.

They have no sense of customer support and their prices, while good, are met by many retailers all over the place. Good riddance.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I feel for you. I have different problems with my local branch, but nowhere near as bad as yours. Certainly not bad enough yet to deny myself a purchase I want (i.e., the bonus disc on TNG Season 5).
    I agree that they ought to go ahead and give you the digital coupon back, that's really a small matter which you should hand-write a complaint about to the CEO (that's certainly over the "highest level of support's" head!) on that.
    As to the debit card issue, I wouldn't have used one for a preorder unless I could immediately reserve aside money (already in the account) to be used for only this. Moral of your basic story really is that you never know when the charge will come through! The solution for next time is to just have waited until the money to be used for this purchase was already in the account, and THEN place the preorder. It's doubtful they would have run out of preorders or anything.
    Sorry if I'm not telling you what you want to hear. It is the result of my life experiences, 10 years of which include retail store management. So perhaps it's just that I'm "one of them". [​IMG]
    As for the digital coupon, write the letter I suggested. Or just call the main office in Minnesota and ask to speak to the CEO. I doubt he'll get on the phone with you, but whoever he makes speak to you will likely address the issue more satisfactorily than "Shawn" did. After all, what's $10 to them?

7. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

8. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I also use a debit card to make online orders, but I make it a policy to never order from a company that places the hold on the funds before the order enters the shipment process.

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well BB will do this every week unti the order actuallu ships.

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    From the Best Buy Website and their Shipping Explanation Screend.

Remember: Your credit card is not charged until your pre-order is shipped, so check its expiration date. If your card expires between the time you place your pre-order and the time your order is shipped, your order will be cancelled. If your order was cancelled, please order your selection again using a new, unexpired card.

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Replied to best buy's email this morning: My Reply is the 2nd

David,

Thank you for contacting Best Buy about your order . I'm Erin with Customer Care.

We understand it can be frustrating when things don't go as planned. Unfortunately, when an order is placed on our Web site we must obtain an authorization hold on the purchasing credit card. An authorization hold essentially insures that when we do go to charge the credit card that we know the money will be there. For further information on authorization holds we encourage you to contact your lending institution.

In regards to your concern about your digital coupon, we regret to inform you that we unable to extend or honor your coupon as this promotion has ended. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Best Buy strives to make each experience you have with us to be as positive and as fun as possible, and we are disappointed if we don't live up to that expectation. We have forwarded your message to the appropriate personnel for their review.

Thank you for sharing your comments with Best Buy. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

Best wishes from Best Buy,
    Erin and the Customer Care Team

MY Reply:

-----Original Message-----

Erin, with the amount of Disks I purchase from your Company I am
    saddened that you do not care enough about customer relations to honor
    the coupon I earned. Best Buy's Policy of charging my credit card almost
    2 weeks prior to shipping the product is dubious at best. As is their
    policy of seeking authorizations on Credit Cards multiple times prior to
    shipping because legally you can only hold the funds for 7 days on
    Visa's.

I will be reevaluating how much money I spend at your stores online or
    B&M. And I'm spreading the word on your practices in the various Home
    Theater Online communities that I'm part of. In the End it may have been
    a wiser choice to honor the coupon I earned,

Sincerely

Dave Scarpa

Thier 2nd Reply:

Dave,

Thank you for contacting Best Buy about your online experience. I'm Tiffany with Customer Care.

We are sorry that your experience with ordering online was frustrating.

Best Buy strives to make each experience you have with us to be as positive and as fun as possible, and we are disappointed if we don't live up to that expectation. We have forwarded your message to the appropriate personnel for their review.

Thank you for sharing your comments with Best Buy. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

Best wishes from Best Buy,
    Tiffany and the Customer Care Team

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Just an Update :

I've decided to swear off BB.Com's Preorders no matter how many Digital Coupons they dangle at me. Yesterday my wife goes to purchase something with our debit card and because of BB's constant authorizing of Preorders I have $105 balance with only 2 bucks available balance because they keep authorizing my cards and freezing up funds. I've had it with them and after my current preorders run out it only B&M for me from now on. Or I'll use Etailers that don't manipulate my account like that. I never had these issues with Deep Discount or DVD Empire or Amazon.

13. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I thought about ordering pre-ordering online with once. Now after reading about your adventures, I would not touch them with a 100 foot pole.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

15. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    It becomes an issue if you like to preorder multiple titles or Big Buck titles like box sets ect. It can really screw up you balnces because the funds are in a constant state of flux, being aut, then released, then authed again every week

16. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I'm planning to frequent Circuit City more often then BB.

They treated me great when I was bargain hunting for speakers and found great deals on open box speakers and an A/V component rack.

They've earned my business and went out of their way to accommodate me.

Thanks CC!!

Paul

17. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

You must be lucky. Whenever I look at equipment at CC I get ignored.

18. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

19. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

20. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer