Best Buy Star Trek Next Gen bonus DVD's - are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin Watts III, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I did some searching on the forum, & while I did find the Season 5 thread, the Best Buy links don't have any description for the bonus discs.

I'm able to get the Next Gen season sets for about $50 used/ $60-65 new. This is a great deal that I'm taking advantage of, but being a big Trek fan, I am interested in the extra discs, if they are worth it.

So can someone please post a description of what are on the bonus discs for Seasons 4 thru 7, & if you think if any are worth owning.

Thanks in advance.

Calvin

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Check the "Coupons & Bargains" section for Dave Lambert's Weekly Round-Up. For each week a new set was released, he detailed what was on the bonus discs. Here is the Round-Up that included Season Seven. Just search back for the Round-Ups of each week a new set was released.

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Each of the bonus DVD's (season's 4-7) have two segments of extras on them IIRC. I think the discs are about 20 min. long.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The bonus discs were only DVDs starting with Season 4 (seasons 1 & 2 were PC CD-ROMs of old "encyclopedia" type discs, and S3 was MP3 files of two books-on-tape).

Times were as follows for each bonus disc:
    S4 0:21
    S5 0:29
    S6 0:31
    S7 0:27

These were exclusive to Best Buy, Suncoast, MediaPlay, & Sam Goody. If you cannot walk into a local store and find a copy that happens to still be sitting on the shelf, then you will have a VERY TOUGH TIME getting these now (think "Salo: Criterion Collection" tough...I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not, but I'm probably not).

Is it worth the effort to track these down? Depends on how much you want 'em, really.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

6. .Michael.J.N.

It depends upon where you are as well.

Other region releases (R2, etc) of the TNG sets include the extras that are on the BestBuy bonus disks (at least the specials). I don't blame Paramount for striking this deal with BB, but for the fans, I think it stinks.

Does anyone know if the Canadian R1 release of the TNG sets have the additional material? Its possible that the sets are different (some sets certainly are), but it does seem somewhat doubtful.

I bought Seasons 6 and 7 through BB.com when they had the 20% off Paramount sale (one day after S6's release). They sent Season 7 w/bonus disk, but canceled my Season 6 order with no explanation (I assume because they didn't have any remaining sets w/bonus disks) and refused to even honor the price on the set without the bonus disk.

Needless to say, given my experiences with BB.com now, I'll probably just be saying 'no' to the bonus disks that come with DS9 so that I can save some money on the sets... after while that extra $$ adds up.

So, where do all of you get the best price on the TNG/DS9 DVDs? Costco typically has them for $89.00... is there a store that consistently manages a lower price?

-Addictive

7. David Lambert

Costco tends to have the lowest in-store prices.

I was in Best Buy today, and if I wanted to I could have bought seasons 3-7 with their bonus discs. Only 1 left each on 3 & 4, though. And the others are gettng low!

8. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

9. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

10. Johnny Jr.

Johnny Jr. Stunt Coordinator

just to confirm....are the only bonus discs that you can get in Canada for seasons 6 and 7?

I never got any bonus discs with season 4 and 5 although I did recieve a nemesis cd-rom with season 5.

11. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

12. David Lambert