What's new

Best Buy Star Trek Next Gen bonus DVD's - are they worth it? (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I did some searching on the forum, & while I did find the Season 5 thread, the Best Buy links don't have any description for the bonus discs.

I'm able to get the Next Gen season sets for about $50 used/ $60-65 new. This is a great deal that I'm taking advantage of, but being a big Trek fan, I am interested in the extra discs, if they are worth it.

So can someone please post a description of what are on the bonus discs for Seasons 4 thru 7, & if you think if any are worth owning.

Thanks in advance.

Calvin

Brian E

Screenwriter
Each of the bonus DVD's (season's 4-7) have two segments of extras on them IIRC. I think the discs are about 20 min. long.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The bonus discs were only DVDs starting with Season 4 (seasons 1 & 2 were PC CD-ROMs of old "encyclopedia" type discs, and S3 was MP3 files of two books-on-tape).

Times were as follows for each bonus disc:
S4 0:21
S5 0:29
S6 0:31
S7 0:27

These were exclusive to Best Buy, Suncoast, MediaPlay, & Sam Goody. If you cannot walk into a local store and find a copy that happens to still be sitting on the shelf, then you will have a VERY TOUGH TIME getting these now (think "Salo: Criterion Collection" tough...I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not, but I'm probably not).

Is it worth the effort to track these down? Depends on how much you want 'em, really.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm able to get the Next Gen season sets for about $50 used/ $60-65 new.
Using some simple math, that means the Best Buy extras disc would be costing you $35 - $55 each, depending on whether you buy it used/new and sales tax. Only you can decide if a disc with 20-30 minutes of extras is worth that much money.

Personally, I passed on the Best Buy deals, since I was able to buy the sets new for about $80 each, including shipping. The cost at Best Buy would have been $106 after sales tax, and I was unwilling to spend $26 extra per set for each supplemental disc. However, everyone's priorities are different.

It depends upon where you are as well.

Other region releases (R2, etc) of the TNG sets include the extras that are on the BestBuy bonus disks (at least the specials). I don't blame Paramount for striking this deal with BB, but for the fans, I think it stinks.

Does anyone know if the Canadian R1 release of the TNG sets have the additional material? Its possible that the sets are different (some sets certainly are), but it does seem somewhat doubtful.

I bought Seasons 6 and 7 through BB.com when they had the 20% off Paramount sale (one day after S6's release). They sent Season 7 w/bonus disk, but canceled my Season 6 order with no explanation (I assume because they didn't have any remaining sets w/bonus disks) and refused to even honor the price on the set without the bonus disk.

Needless to say, given my experiences with BB.com now, I'll probably just be saying 'no' to the bonus disks that come with DS9 so that I can save some money on the sets... after while that extra $$ adds up.

So, where do all of you get the best price on the TNG/DS9 DVDs? Costco typically has them for $89.00... is there a store that consistently manages a lower price?

-Addictive

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Costco tends to have the lowest in-store prices.

I was in Best Buy today, and if I wanted to I could have bought seasons 3-7 with their bonus discs. Only 1 left each on 3 & 4, though. And the others are gettng low!

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the Canadian R1 release of the TNG sets have the additional material? Its possible that the sets are different (some sets certainly are), but it does seem somewhat doubtful.
The Canadian R1 sets do not include the extra material. I'm assuming the sets sold in Canada are identical to the US sets, since the rebate coupon included has the Canadian rebate info on one side, and the US rebate info on the other! As far as I know, there are no differences in content.

Canadians can get the bonus discs through Future Shop, which is now owned by Best Buy. (I assume that the Canadian Best Buy locations also have the bonus discs, but I can't confirm this as I won't have a BB in my area until later this year.)

For the last 2 seasons (6 & 7), my local Future Shop has been selling them for C$118.99 (~US$75), which is $1 less than my local Costco, and only 36 cents more than my local Wal-Mart. Definitely an incentive to buy at Future Shop and get the bonus discs!

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
just to confirm....are the only bonus discs that you can get in Canada for seasons 6 and 7?

I never got any bonus discs with season 4 and 5 although I did recieve a nemesis cd-rom with season 5.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
are the only bonus discs that you can get in Canada for seasons 6 and 7
As long as the sets were bought from Future Shop or Best Buy, the bonus discs would be included with each season. Apparently, they will be included only for a limited time.

In addition to the Nemesis CD-ROM, the season five set from Future Shop or Best Buy also included a bonus DVD with another approximately twenty minutes worth of featurettes on par with those found on the last disc of each set.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In addition to the Nemesis CD-ROM, the season five set from Future Shop or Best Buy also included a bonus DVD with another approximately twenty minutes worth of featurettes on par with those found on the last disc of each set.
It's 29 minutes for the S5 bonus disc; see my post above with the running times of each DVD bonus disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks