What's new

Best Buy season set markdowns (X-Files $49.99, Farscape, Mutant X, Andromeda) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
(Note - since it looks like Best Buy is going to be aggressive in moving their backstock of DVD on TV sets, I figure this could be a good thread for all the different markdowns that occurs at Best Buy)

Best Buy is marking some season sets for quick sale, it seems, but it's strictly YMMV depending on store stock and how fast you get there.

I lucked up on a Farscape Season 1 set for $28.99 tonight at BB, and I saw Jamal Anderson (former Atlanta Falcon running back) roaming the DVD aisles as well!

Andromeda season 2 10-disc set $14.99
Andromeda season 4 v4 $7.99
Andromeda season 4 v5 $15.99
Farscape season 2 $57.99
Mutant X season 1 $9.99

There were other anime sets as well.

Just read that Hercules Season 2 is now marked down to $14.99.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Something is going on with these slightly old season sets.

I noticed they boosted the price of Xena season 2 up, from about $45 to the high $50s, as of last week. I know this because I'd held season 2 in my hands for two weeks wondering if I'd ever find it for a lower price... And when I finally decided I would buy it, the price had shot up.

Carlos V III

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't see this posted anywhere here, but Best Buy.com has all X-files season sets on sale for 49.99 each. Went by the B&M this morning and they still showed them at $90+ on the boxes and the shelf.

Grabbed a blue shirt and asked him, so he checked and said that this was an unadvertised sale and that they would ring up at 49.99 each at the checkout and they did!

Picked up Seasons 2 & 3 since I already had Season 1.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Thanks Carlos!!! :) I've been looking for Season 7 for a long time & have consistantly been outbid on ebay several times that I just gave up, and those were used sets going for $55-$60. Now I have a new set for $55.00 with shipping & tax included. :D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I believe Fox brought the price down on X Files boxes a while ago, so this might be a symptom of that price drop.

Aren't Farscape, Mutant X and Andromeda all done by ADV Films? Farscape is available in the box sets and the new 2 disc Starburst Editions. Maybe they're trying to get rid of the boxes for the new editions?

Same thing happening for Mutant X and Andromeda?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Basically the new Starburst editions of the Farscape season sets are double-sided DVDs that contain 4 episodes (maybe 5) per DVD, the other version were single-sided DVDs and required more DVDs per season.

Do a search on "starburst farscape" in the TV Shows on DVD software area for more details.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks -- I took a look at Best Buy this afternoon. It seems like the new sets are a better deal. I'll have to check whether they include all the special features of the original sets.

BTW, I noticed that the season 1 sets were 7, 7 and 8 episodes per set (which equals the full season in 3 sets).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I believe all the original extras are included plus new stuff...I know of one additional commentary off the top of my head, but I knew there's more.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I ran across the Andromeda 4.4 & 4.5 disc tonight. I am curious why they didn't lower the prices on 4.1-4.3?

Could it be that they are over stocked on some discs or they haven't sold as well as other discs in the series?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Does the sale apply to Dark Shadows sets? BB has the weirdest pricing on these. Some are at $42-44, which is reasonable, and some are $53-55, which is not.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Sale is still on; picked up X-Files season 9 for $49.99 last night, but couldn't find a blue shirt to do a price check on the Dark Shadows. Oh well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy finally advertised the X-Files box sets on sale for $49.99 starting this week in their circulars, so if you were sitting on the fence, you might want to pick up the season sets you want, else you will miss out.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
July 4? Well that's comforting news.

My wife just bought me the complete Star Trek: the Next Generation dvds for my birthday. Added to that the season sets I promised myself all coming out now (Seinfeld 4, Home Movies 2, Batman 3, NewsRadio 1) there's just no time or money now to finish off my X Files sets.

btw, the sale is also online, which will obviously have more in stock than the B&M stores

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
That X-files deal was the best thing out there. They sold out in my local store and sold out a few times on thier website. luckily i got a set from their website and should ship tomorrow. maybe this will get fox to lower thier prices.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Just picked up X-Files Seasons 1 - 3 today at my local B&M Best Buy. I really hesitate buying these approximately $100 season sets, but at this price point who can pass them up?

I'll probably pick up Season 4 next week (online if its sold out at B&M), but haven't decided if I want to go higher than that as post-movie seasons didn't appeal to me too terribly much.

I wish something like this would happen on the Star Trek sets, at least TNG and DS9, I have yet to purchase any seasons of either at the current price point.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Too bad Mutant X is 16.99 at the website.

I sent in some Price Matches to DDD, but don't know whether to scope out my BB in State College or not. If I'm up there and luck out it would be worthwhile, but I don't want to make a special trip. Hmmmm.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I stopped by Best Buy and not only were the X Files on sale, they had restocked EVERY SEASON! In fact, the Fox dvds had an enormous display with almost all of their titles (except Arrested Development. :angry: ).

I picked up season 7 but I may go back for 8 and 9 before the sale ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks