Best Buy Reward Zone Card & Rebates

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Jeremy K, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

Have mail-in-rebates never counted towards your reward zone points? For whatever reason, I thought that if it was a mail-in-rebate, you got points for it, if it was instant you didn't. I just noticed that the points from Black Friday were posted to my account, but it is short by a lot because of the rebates.

I'm just wondering if this is one of those things they decide to change after you purchase the card, like the $125 going up to $150.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

They used to count, the first year of the card, but they changed it for the 2nd year.

3. Jeremy K

OK, thanks. Thats too bad, I was planning on getting more than I will now, now I have to pay some cash to get my Xbox.

4. MarkDude

MarkDude Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, it was part of the big cutback in our rewards. I forgot about it as well on Black Friday. However, since my Best Buy Bucks covered almost my entire purchase, I only had to pay $28, but I had $70 in mail-in rebates. So, yes, I lost 4,200 points on Black Friday. I see this as a problem. After all, what if you have $40 in Reward Zone certificates and buy a $40 item with a mail-in rebate? You need your card to redeem the certificates, and so you'll lose points if that ever happens to you.

Oh yeah, and if you want to buy something with a big mail-in rebate, I'd suggest buying it online and getting it for in-store pickup, because at the moment you are not deducted for rebates on online orders.

--Mark--

5. Jeremy K

Yeah, I lost 130,000 points because of the rebates. But I still got 207,593, plus 19,998 on Saturday. But when I was planning on getting the full amount[​IMG] .

6. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

When you say "lost", does that mean you just don't earn them or they actually deduct that amount from your account?

7. Jeremy K

I guess you just don't earn it, if you click on the transaction on your myrewardzone.com page, it has all the transactions, whatever you purchased, then it has:

RBTM TENDER xxx.xx

and they just take that amount off, before it gives you the points for it.

8. MarkDude

MarkDude Stunt Coordinator

Adam, they actually deducted those points from my account. In other words, I had about 34,000 points. But then my Black Friday purchase got credited and now I have less than 30,000. For that date, it says

"11/26/2004 TUTTLE CROSSING OH RZ Base Points -4,302" (that's a minus sign there, not a hyphen)

I could have just not used my card and I would not have lost those points. The RZ customer service agents don't seem to understand this when I try to ask them about it. But as I mentioned, this could be a real problem if you want to use Reward certificates and end up in this situation. You'd actually get penalized for using your certificates.

Edit: Fortunately, after some persistence, I got them to add points to my account because of this problem. They actually credited me 7,000 points.

--Mark--