What's new

Best Buy: Rent before you buy option (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Strange tactic, not sure how well it will work out.

Best Buy's website will have a button that sends you to Lumoid's site to manage the actual rental of these items, many of which may be "open box" returns instead of new items. You'll earn about 20 percent of the rental price in Lumoid credits, which can then be applied to a purchase of the rented item. Best Buy gets to breathe new life into items people have already bought and customers get to check out big-ticket items for a low monthly fee.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/12/best-buy-rent-gadgets-before-purchase/

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Strange tactic, not sure how well it will work out.

Best Buy's website will have a button that sends you to Lumoid's site to manage the actual rental of these items, many of which may be "open box" returns instead of new items. You'll earn about 20 percent of the rental price in Lumoid credits, which can then be applied to a purchase of the rented item. Best Buy gets to breathe new life into items people have already bought and customers get to check out big-ticket items for a low monthly fee.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/12/best-buy-rent-gadgets-before-purchase/
They may have improved, but in my younger days, for the credit impaired, I went with them for several items. Major rip-off and sky high interest rates. Possibly a lemon, but I got a 25" TV (that's showing my age :P) with a huge flaw in the CRT. About 20% of the screen was warped, like somebody had stuck a magnet close to it, distorting the entire picture. That went back immediately.

With many of these rent to own places, you'll pay double or even more of what the item is worth if you decide to make it a purchase.

I'd also pass on "open box" items. "Open box" with some brief demos? Or has it been sitting on a showroom floor running 24/7 for a year?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks